Trivia / Lord of the Flies
The 1963 film:
- The Danza: Roger was played by Roger Elwin.
- Executive Meddling: The US distributor insisted that the film be cut to 90 minutes, so extra scenes involving Ralph's backstory and another around the campfire were cut.
- Throw It In!:
- The script was largely thrown out and the young actors were encouraged to improvise as much as possible. As a result, there's no screenplay credit.
- Filmmakers spent hours trying to find a suitable sound effect for the dead pilot's parachute blowing in the wind. The editor eventually found it by slowing down a recording of his cat purring.
The 1990 film:
- Executive Meddling: The studio insisted that most of the profanity be cut from the script, feeling it would be cruel to make twelve-year-olds swear against their parents' wishes.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Balthazar Getty broke his wrists during filming. The director wrote it into the film, which is why Ralph has his arm in a sling.
- The Shelf of Movie Languishment: Filmed in 1988 but not released until 1990.