Characters / GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class
(Name Order Confusion Note: This character sheet uses the Family Name-first order.)
The main viewpoint character, a girl who loves painting and pastels. She is very gentle and sometimes a bit of an airhead, and while she's good with paints she tends to sketch too lightly and has trouble with design, especially fashion. Her friends call her "Kisaragi," Buchi calls her "Kisa-chan", and Aa-san calls her "February."language note
Early in the series, she becomes enamored with Tomokane's misreading "sketching" (素描) as "plain cat" (素猫) and starts doodling brown kittens by the dozens. Kisaragi turns out to be very good at thrifty spending.
Voiced by Haruka Tomatsu
- Apologizes a Lot: She often breaks and/or spill stuffs, and otherwise creates a mess due to her clumsiness. As a result, she has to frequently apologize for her mistakes.
- Blind Without 'Em: She can't even run in a straight line without her glasses.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Almost always the boke. Lampshaded by the character sketches as she is referred to be tennen, short for tennen (born) boke.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She's slow, clumsy, and can throw sharpened pencils with deadly accuracy.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Frequently breaks cutleries due to her clumsiness.
- Cuteness Proximity: Gets giddy with joy whenever she sees cute cats.
- Drunk on Milk: Can even get drunk on grape soda if she hasn't had sugar in a while.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She's a big softie who gets Cuteness Proximity whenever she sees cats, or even pictures/models of cats.
- Lethal Chef: She mentioned her cooking was "cubist."
- Meganekko: Wears large, round glasses, which perfectly captures her adorably sweet and clumsy nature.
- Ms. Imagination: Not in the common "chuunibyou" sense but more in the childish sense. Exaggerated in the anime.
- Nerd Glasses: Wears a pair of glasses that's more than half the size of her face, which causes Noda to assume that she's a smart bookworm when they first met. Subverted as she's one of the underachievers of the group
- Picked Last: She's terrible at sports, which was why she was picked last during the badminton chapter.
- Power Limiter: She discovers, a little to her dismay, that her works done without her glasses are considered better than what she usually produces, leading her classmates to think of her glasses as a limiter of sorts.
- Sleepyhead: Tends to nod off in class after lunch and PE.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Subverted. When Noda met her for the first time, she assumed that Kisaragi was smart because of her glasses. However, Kisaragi is not that intelligent, as is probably the most underperforming student in her group, after Tomokane.
An energetic and fickle young girl who especially loves design and fashion, called "Noda" or "Princess" by her friends. She has employed a number of different hairstyles in the manga, usually involving Odango Hair
, Girlish Pigtails
, and various hair ornaments
. While very talented, she gets bored easily and tends to start fooling around in the middle of lessons. The usual culprit behind any shenanigans, and good friends with Tomokane. Has a memetically pretty older sister whose face we still haven't seen, a younger brother who hasn't yet appeared, and a cat named Marshmallow.
Voiced by Ai Tokunaga.
- A-Cup Angst: Implied. She enjoys making fun of Namiko's boobs a little too much.
- Blank White Eyes: Prone to these when goofing off. Exaggerated in the anime, where she has this kind of eyes by default.
- Custom Uniform: Usually wears her gym jacket instead of her blazer.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Nodamiki is very self-conscious of her appearance, and constantly changes her hairstyle and wears cute hairclips to enhance her appeal.
- The Fashionista: She has a very good fashion sense (due to her love for fashion magazines), and does exceptionally well in the fashion design course.
- Genki Girl: Cheerful and energetic, and always ready to prank her friends (especially Namiko) despite knowing full well of the consequences.
- Image Song: Noda's version of the closing theme is an attention-grabbing pop song with a brass section about colour and how art flows naturally.
A quiet and very talented girl who really, really loves the color black. Namiko calls her "Masa"; the other girls call her "Professor". While definitely somewhat strange, Masa is very kind, and always takes care of her friends and the chickens kept on the school grounds. Her family is very traditional, and her parents have arranged her marriage to an older boy she hasn't been able to meet yet. She's almost always expressionless and has a relatively low normal body temperature.
Voiced by Kaori Nazuka
- Alternate Character Reading: Where the nickname "Masa" comes from; it's another way to read her given namelanguage note .
- Arranged Marriage: She has a fiancé whom she's never even met.
- Custom Uniform: Her summer uniform's vest is purple instead of yellow.
- Emotionless Girl: She has but one expression, which never seem to change even when she's sad, scared or even frustrated, which is why her peers consider her as a strange Ambiguously Human.
- Hammerspace: Can keep an unlimited amount of useful things in her uniform.
- Image Song: Her version of the closing theme is smooth piano jazz about inclusion and helping.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Averted and defied! Not only she does not appear isolated—in one arc, despite possessing enough skill to pass the 3-kyu or 2-kyu typography tests, she decides to take the 4-kyu instead due to not wanting to stand out.
- Kimono Is Traditional: In volume 3 of the manga, Kisaragi found Professor walking on the streets in a kimono. It turns out that her entire family wears kimonos at home.
- Mr. Exposition: Is usually the one to explain the various art terms to her peers, and, by extension, the audience.
- Not So Above It All: Despite being much calmer and more knowledgeable than the rest of her group, she frequently takes part in their weirder antics (such as agreeing to Noda's suggestion to have yami-nabe when the group visited Namiko's place).
- Running Gag: The other girls are well-aware that Masa's a bit off, and like to theorize why this might be.
- The Scrounger: Forgot your supplies? Suddenly need something that you can't get your hands on easily? Chicken trouble? Masa can help you with that.
- Selective Magnetism: She can use her hair pin as a magnet to pick up some spilled scraps of metal. When the others tried to use that same hair pin to do the same, it failed.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Can talk to birds.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Afraid of the dark. Her desire to understand her irrational fear is what initially got her into the color black.
An aggressive, brash, and cheerful girl who uses physical strength to solve everything. She aspires to work in 3D rendering, and likes to use very hard lines in her art. Because of her appearance and behavior, she says that she's often been mistaken for a boy when not wearing a skirt; it turns out that she's so hyperactive and violent at school because of frustration at her older brother, who is too frail
for her to fight physically. Five books into the manga, we still don't know her first name.
Voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro
- Hot-Blooded: The most fiery and hyperactive of the group. She tends to talk very loudly and uses brute force to overcome her challenges.
- Image Song: Her version of the closing theme is a high energy rock song about (naturally) blasting full speed into a project.
- Malaproper: Seems to have difficulty in reading kanji.
- No Name Given: Despite being a main character, her given name is completely unknown, and even her friends call her by her last name.
- Ore Onna: Refers to herself using the masculine Japanese Pronouns, ore.
- Running Gag: All through the first manga volume, she never seems to be able to bring in the right supplies; she also has an unfortunate tendency to accidentally wreck art projects (both her own and other people's).
- Sibling Yin-Yang: She's a loud and hyperactive Dumb Muscle. Her older brother is a quiet and demure Manipulative Bastard.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Looks very much like her older brother, that she once disguises herself as him in a sports festival, and nobody notices.
- Tomboy: Looks and acts like a boy, and has yet to show any feminine qualities.
The oldest and most mature member of the group, and thus the one who usually winds up playing the Straight Man
role. Her friends call her "Namiko-san", and she is on the receiving end of countless height jokes, breast jokes, weight jokes, and age jokes from Noda. Because her friends are so childish, she tends to get treated as the big sister or mom of the group, and is on good terms with Masa, who is the only other calm one in their circle.
Voiced by Yui Horie
- Always Second Best: Her sister Fujiko is good at everything, making Namiko feel inadequate with her own skills.
- Butt Monkey: She almost always receive the brunt of Noda's and Tomokane's pranks.
- Custom Uniform: Doesn't wear her blazer and instead wears a belt over her skirt. Noda thinks it's out of insecurity.
- Image Song: Namiko's version of the closing theme is about how hard it is to find peace and quiet, sung to fast-paced dance music.
- Lethal Chef: She calls her cooking "surrealist."
- Numerical Theme Naming: The "mi" in her name means "three," vis-a-vis her sister Fujiko's two ("ji").
- Only Sane Man: The only one of the group who can be said to be somewhat grounded in reality. Constantly lampshaded.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Namiko is straight-laced, clumsy with her hands, and is often aggravated by her friends' mischief; her sister Fujiko is flighty, a natural genius, and loves to make trouble.
- Straight Man: She's the long-suffering "normal girl" who has to deal with her friends' (particularly Tomokane and Nodamiki's) mischief. Her reactions to their antics is one of the series' source of comedy.
- Team Mom: She's the most down-to-earth in her group, and tries to keep the others from going too crazy with their hijinks. The girls look up to her, and during her Sick Episode, they tell her how much they respect her maturity.
President of the fine arts club, and the usual perspective character for their misadventures. She's very loud and energetic, and has a Chubu (Nagoya region) dialect, which is often mistaken for a Kansai Regional Accent
, much to her chagrin. She's good friends with Mizubuchi, who calls her "Aa-san". She is in her third year, and is a GA student. Much more talented than she appears, and even has tetrachromacy
, which allows her to perceive ultraviolet light.
Voiced by Akemi Kanda
- Club President: Of the Fine arts club.
- Genius Ditz: Despite having immense talent in arts, even possessing tetrachromacy, she often messes up her assignments (including colour mixing) since she does everything by instinct rather than following conventional methods.
- In-Series Nickname: Mizubuchi calls her "Aa-san", while everyone else in the club simply calls her "Pres".
- The Idiot from Osaka: Resembles the stereotype despite not actually being from Osaka.
Kisaragi's childhood friend, who helped inspire her to come to Ayanoi in the first place. She's close friends with Aa-san, and is the Art Club's general holder of the Sanity Ball
; she joins the Fine Arts Club when Tono merges it with the Student Life Activities Club, which she was the only member of. Called "Buchi-san" by Aa-san and "Micchan" by Kisaragi; a third-year GA student.
Voiced by Ami Koshimizu
- Cloud Cuckoo Landers Minder: She makes sure that Aa-san don't get too carried away in her weird ideas, and reprimands the Prez whenever she starts to slack off .
- Early-Bird Cameo: First shows up in volume 1 during Kisaragi's flashback.
- No Name Given: It's not clear if Mizubuchi is her first or last name, but that's what everyone calls her.
- Team Mom: Even before she officially joined the Fine Arts Club, she often hangs out with the others to be a moral support (as well as to look after Aa-san).
The vice-president of the Fine Arts Club. Unlike most of the other members, he's not a GA student and is actually a third-year on the college prep track. Originally wanted to be an art student, but because he is red-green colorblind he decided to take the practical road. Has very little patience for his leader's antics. Gets called "Zumin" by Homura.
Voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi
- Foil: To Aa-san, and was deliberately designed that way according to Word of God.
- No Name Given: His given name is completely unknown.
- Only Sane Man: The most normal of the students, who often gets bewildered and/or exasperated by the art students' quirkiness.
- Stoic Spectacles: He's more reserved than all of his club mates combined, and his spectacles enhances that persona.
A second-year auto student and member of the Fine Arts Club. Like Uozumi, Buchi-san, and the Tomokanes, we still don't know his given name. A bit dim but brash, he's also an extreme believer in Love at First Sight
Voiced by Ryo Naitou
- The Big Guy: He's the guy to rely on when the club needs excess physical labour. Which normally means that he's the gopher for both Aa-san and Uozumi, and the guy who carries the dirty work for Tomokane's schemes.
- Hot-Blooded: He's very excitable, especially when he gets the opportunity to prank others or impress his crush.
- Love at First Sight: First towards Same-chan-sensei, then toward Noda's sister and an unnamed twelve-grade girl.
- No Name Given: Like Uozumi, only his last name is known.
A second-year GA student, and that other Tomokane's older brother. Like his sister, we don't know his given name. He's prone to illnesses and tends to miss a lot of school, so his first appearance is in volume 3, whereupon he joins the Art Club. He has been described as a pastel, softer-looking version of his little sister with wavier hair. Tomokane enjoys playing pranks and mind games, knowing that because of his weak constitution he need not fear retribution; otherwise he's a nice guy.
Voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's mostly gentle and good-natured, but has a mischievous/manipulative streak that can be outright devious when executed.
- Big Brother Bully: His picking on his sister has made her who she is today.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Lampshaded; in the columns for "masculine" and "feminine" designs in the manga, he's stuck under the "feminine" side while his sister is under "masculine".
- Ill Boy: He has a frail body and gets sick easily. He exploits this by making fun of her sister, knowing that she would not be able to fight back, lest she be seen as a mean bully who harasses sick people.
- Karma Houdini: No one's going to physically attack a frail little thing like him. He knows this, and exploits it.
- Manipulative Bastard: Despite his timid appearance, he's very fond of practical jokes and other mischief. He uses his weak constitution as an excuse to not actually enact his devious plans by himself though, and uses others (like Homura) to do the dirty work for him.
- Nightmare Fetishist: He visited the Fine Arts club while they were putting up their haunted house display and quickly went on board with it. It appears to be one of the main reasons why he signed up as a club member.
- No Name Given: Like his sister, only his last name is ever revealed.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: He's a quiet but intelligent boy, while his sister is a loud and hyperactive, but rather dumb.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: He and his sister look almost exactly alike.
Namiko's older sister and the Art Club's former president. Currently in college. An infamous artistic genius with unparallelled charisma, and an outrageous personality to match. First appears towards the end of volume five, and thus never got an appearance in the anime. She has apparently left Namiko some tall boots to fill.
- Big Eater: Her first appearance at home has her eating the entire contents of the fridge, including what Namiko's intended lunch ingredients. School cafeteria workers noted when she was in school, they used one extra sack of rice a day...
The first-year GA class's homeroom teacher, and also in charge of design classes. Although he takes a Straight Man
role in his interactions with his students (especially Noda and Tomokane), he's very popular. According to Kiyuduki
, he's the kind of person who doesn't lose his dignity as a teacher even when fooling around with his class.
Voiced by Kyousei Tsukui.
- Must Have Caffeine: Drinks at least four cups of coffee a day, which Tono (of all people) criticizes him about.
- Oblivious to Love: Usami has a big crush on him, and he doesn't notice at all.
- Only Sane Man: He's pretty much the only teacher who takes his job seriously.
- Straight Man: Most of his role in the manga consists of him angrily reacting or getting frustrated to the GA students' (especially Noda's) weird hijinks.
Sotoma-sensei's assistant who also teaches painting. When she first introduced herself, she was so nervous that she accidentally mispronounced her own family name, so she's gained the nickname "Same-chan-sensei". She is also a graduate of Ayanoi, and tends to act much younger than her coworkers. She is anemic.
Voiced by Omi Minami
- Odd Friendship: She's good friends with Tono and often go to her for support, despite the fact that they have opposite personalities.
- One of the Kids: For starters, she fears blood donation more than her students...
- Sensei-chan: Very timid and childish, that most of her students treat her as a fellow friend rather than a respectable teacher.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's one of the victims of the art club's haunted house.
The third-year GA class's teacher, adviser of the the Fine Arts Club, and teaches sketching. Called "Tono-sensei" by her students, and is an infamous hardass who is well-loved despite acting like a Grumpy Bear
most of the time. She's a chain smoker of legendary proportions, to the point where she was once asked "Which is more important to you, me or tobacco?" by a former boyfriend. Has previously made Aa-san a cardboard dog house and actually stuck her in it.
Voiced by Minami Takayama
- Bifauxnen: To the point where even Yen Press' translation team misgendered her throughout a whole volume of the manga.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": The art club members call her "Tono-sensei", and doesn't appear to know what her actual name is. When they wanted the first years to find her, they tried to describe her appearance and personality instead.
- Hypocritical Humour: At one point criticizes Sotoma's coffee addiction, in spite of her even worse smoking habits.
- Memetic Badass: In-Universe. She's a grumpy chain smoker who can barely do any physical work without injuring herself. Her club members reveres her and bow down to her authority, hence her nickname "Tono" (which literally means "lord").
- Must Have Nicotine: She can get pretty scary when she hasn't had enough cigarettes lately.
- No Name Given: Her first name is completely unknown.
- Odd Friendship: She's good friends with Same-chan-sensei, despite having completely opposite temperaments.
The fashion design teacher, a tiny and terrifying old lady who's a legendary hard grader. Most students who aren't Noda are petrified of her. Initially did not appear in the anime, but was featured in the OVA instead. Volume 6 of the manga shows she joined the staff shortly before the Geijutsuka C: Fashion Design class was dissolved and merged with Geijutsuka A.
Voiced by Chinami Nishimura