Characters / American Vampire
A young girl living in LA during the 1920s with dreams of stardom... until she's invited to the wrong party.
A psychotic outlaw in the Wild West who runs afoul of the Pinkerton Detective Agency and a group of European vampires. Becomes the first American Vampire.
- Ax-Crazy: Whenever he shows up, there's a very good chance a lot of people are going to end up dead.
- Back from the Dead: As of #23
- Buried Alive: For 20 years.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: If you ally with him... watch your back.
- Evil Former Friend: Formerly Jim Book's best friend and adopted brother.
- Faux Affably Evil: Sure he seems like a friendly guy, but don't let that fool you. He'll rip you to shreds without a moment's hesitation, just for a laugh.
- First Of Its Kind: The first American Vampire.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Our Vampires Are Different: The american vampire has elongated finger-claws, rattlesnake fangs, and are powered by sunlight, only becoming vulnerable during the nights of the new moon and can only be killed by gold.
- Pet the Dog: Skinner saving Pearl's life may count (though it is possible he has ulterior motives or simply wanted to screw up the Hollywood Coven's plans).
- Skinner's interaction with Kitty at the ending of 'Strange Frontiers'.
- Slasher Smile: Seems to be his preferred expression.
- Sweet Tooth: He retains this trait even after becoming a vampire.
- Worthy Opponent: Skinner sees Jim Book as this, as seen in 'Strange Frontiers' when he murders the actor who is playing the part of Book in a Wild West show.
- You don't deserve to wear Jim Book's name! *tears off head*
- The Wild West
A Marine who served in World War I before becoming a traveling musician who crosses paths with Pearl in Los Angeles and falls in love with her.
Pearl's best friend and roommate, also an aspiring actress.
- Ax-Crazy: When she comes back from her near-death experience, she becomes much more wantonly murderous and bloodthirsty.
- Evil Former Friend: Goes from Pearl's best friends to one of her greatest enemies.
- Evil Is Petty: Set her best friend up to be vampire-chow just so she can become a famous actress.
- Evil Redhead: An Ax-Crazy vampire with bright orange hair.
- Glasgow Grin: As the result of having the gold star from her dressing room shoved down her throat.
- I Have Your Wife: Pearl is lured into an ambush when Hattie gets kidnapped by vampires. Unfortunately for Pearl, Hattie is in on the whole thing.
- Not Quite Dead: Pearl appears to kill her near the end of volume one, only for it to eventually be revealed that she was merely put into a death-like state. Other vampires recovered her body from the morgue and used her as a guinea pig to find out the weakness of American Vampires.
A veteran of the Civil War, he becomes a detective in the Pinkerton Detective Agency and hunts down Skinner Sweet.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Asks his best friend's daughter to kill him rather than live as a vampire.
- May-December Romance: His best friend's daughter has a crush on him despite possibly having at least 20 to 40 years on her. Taken to an extreme degree when she only agrees to kill him if he slept with her and gave her a child to remember him by.
- Pinkerton Detective: A rare example of one played purely heroically.
- Tragic Monster: Gets turned into an American Vampire when Skinner Sweet's blood enters his body.
Jim Book's daughter (born after his death
). Is seeking vengeance on Skinner Sweet and becomes an agent of the Vassals of the Morning Star.
The police chief of Las Vegas in 1935 who is drawn into a string of mysterious deaths that bring him into the world of vampires.
A mysterious agent who is the leader of the Vassals of the Morning Star.
- Cool Old Guy
- Killed Off for Real: In an appropriately badass way, naturally, given that he takes DRACULA with him.
- Knight Templar: Surprisingly averted. In his first appearance, he seems to be obsessed with destroying all vampires, no matter how harmless, however, by the 'Lord of Nightmares' arc, he's mellowed out a lot, allying himself with Pearl and Felicia, two known vampires, as well as allowing The Firsts, a group of surviving vampires who are out to kill Dracula to live.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
A young, rebellious vampire hunter in the 1950s who is... extremely talented at killing vampires.
- Badass Normal: Possibly the series's greatest example, lacking any powers, allies or decades of expierence, but still taking on scores of vampires on his own and fighting Skinner Sweet to a standstill.
- Greaser Delinquents