Axis Powers Hetalia: East Asia
Click to go back to the character index.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: A popular rendition, which can be played either for drama or for laughs depending on the fandom.
- Chinese People: All of them, especially China. Hong Kong, despite the eyebrows.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Taiwan, the Gender Flip arts of China and Hong Kong (either fanart or the canon Himaruya doodles)
- Five-Man Band: In fanwork, the East Asian nations are typically portrayed as one.
- The Leader: China (Gets upgraded from The Smart Guy to this, since he's the eldest of the group and the others' Parental Substitute)
- The Lancer: Japan (Disagrees with China a LOT, ends up betraying him at some point) and Vietnam (Serious and can't smile very well, the tomboy to Taiwan's girly girl)
- The Big Guy: South Korea (Tallest and the most energetic of the bunch) class 4 and Thailand (Cheerful and calm. Also, stubborn class 2.)
- The Smart Guy: Hong Kong (mysterious, calm, always deadpan, quite the trickster) and Macau (due to having the most common sense).
- The Chick: Taiwan (the only girl for quite a while, the most moe of the group, very enthusiastic and colorful when in the spotlight)
- Sixth Ranger: Mongolia and Tibet would count if they were featured more often.
- Team Pet: Either Pochi (Japan's puppy) or... Shinatty-chan.
- Huge Guy Tiny Other Guy and Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: South Korea (tall enough to stand with America eye-to-eye, which would put him in the 177 cms tall range) has this with Japan (165 cms), China (169 cms.) and Taiwan (150 cms.).
- Macau is also noticeably One Head Taller than Hong Kong and China.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Several of these.
- Mukokuseki: This is a somewhat rare aversion of making the Japanese character generically stateless or anime-like, but making other East Asians more realistic. This time, Japan looks like his relatives.
- Not Blood Siblings: From the anime, Japan's definitely not China's biological brother. The others are debatable whether they're actually related or were just "found".
- Savvy Older Brothers, Energetic Annoying Younger Sibling: Korea and both China and Japan. China and Taiwan, to a degree.
- Taiwan is this to pretty much everyone in East Asia, according to the fourth manga volume.
open/close all folders
R of K - Im Yong Soo
URI NARA MANSAE!
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He would have had chestnut brown hair in the anime series, as evidenced by a character design that was later removed from the official site. Himaruya usually depicts him with black hair or a very dark shade of brown.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Korea's incestuous affection towards China is not returned at all. He's not much luckier when he tries to pursue Japan, either.But somehow, his is the luckiest with Taiwan.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To both China and Japan; he's loud, obnoxious, and says that they should call him their older brother.
- Asian and Nerdy: In his profile, it's said he loves the internet and games. Truth in Television to some degree; Korea apparently has the highest percentage of households with Internet access in the world.
- Art Evolution: Holy crap, it has hit him hard lately.
- Awesome McCoolname: One of the possible readings of "Yong Soo" in Korean is "Water Dragon".
- Big Little Brother: Towards China and Japan.
- Bi the Way: He has groped Japan and China, but lately in Hetaween, he starts taking interest in Taiwan too.
- ... Which doesn't mean he'll stop oooh-ing and aaah-ing at China too.
- Brainy Brunette: Korea really is quite intelligent, seeing as he was able to fix the mind reading binoculars in one strip. Too bad he doesn't show it a lot.
- Korea: I'm an intellectual, da ze!
- Cain and Abel: In Dark Fic, if the not-featured-in-canon North Korea appears, their and Yonsoo's relationship goes like this.
- Completely Missing the Point: Korea's mind-reading binoculars; he utterly misinterprets what they show him.
- Cool Sword: This picture here has him with one. Possibly his Weapon of Choice.
- Demoted to Extra: See What Could Have Been.
- Expressive Hair: Korea's Idiot Hair is sometimes drawn with a face, making this a more literal interpretation of the trope.
- Genki Guy / Keet: Korea is quite cheerful and energetic.
- Megane: In the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011, he's seen wearing glasses while playing videogames◊.
- Skinship Grope: He really wants to grope both of his brothers's breasts. And once or twice manages to do so.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Yonsoo" or "Yong Soo"?
- Stepford Smiler: He's another one who gets this characterization in Dark Fic.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He loves kimchi so much that he took it up into outer space, causing France to become pissed off.
- Tsundere: During a conversation with Japan, he claims to have invented tsundere (all types, presumably). He is not one himself, but an Annoying Younger Sibling with traces of Hopeless Suitor to China and Japan.
Voiced by: Yuki Kaida (JP), Clarine Harp (EN)
- A-Cup Angst: Despite not being as flat-chested as Liechtenstein, she does fret about about seeing the Western girls' cleavage during the 2011 Bloodbath.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Sports this look, plays it up for all its worth.
- Bathing Beauty: A recent strip implies that both she and Hungary◊ are this. Explained by the rich Taiwanese hot spring culture
- Confirmed in her character song in which she outright references her many hot springs.
- Bi the Way: Possibly. She has some Ship Tease with Japan, but also with Vietnam. Noticeably, Taiwan is very adamant about finding other girls cute (mostly Vietnam, but also in the 2013 Halloween Belarus and Ukraine), and also got distracted by the other girls' cleavage.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: One of the earlier Himaruya sketches has her poking China on the cheek and demanding that he leaves Japan alone, while saying the quote above.
Taiwan: (giggles) Teacherís going crazy!China: I told you! Iím young, cool, and hip!
- Confirmed in China's drama CD track, where she teases China a lot (and according to her profile, one of her hobbies is annoying China):
- The Beast Master: She's often represented with tigers, magpie birds (the national bird of Taiwan) and oxes in fanart.
- Buxom Is Better: Some fanwork give her size that rival even Ukraine. Her breasts are medium-sized in canon, but not to such an extreme. Subverted as she turns out to have A-Cup Angst.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Mostly averted. Her first apparition has her poking China on the cheek and telling him to lay off Japan; however, her interactions with Japan himself and the other Asians do not have her clinging to him and being a bitch to whoever approaches him. Not to mention, while she does argue with China, it's never about Japan aside of that aforementioned one sketch.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Brown hair and eyes.
- Expressive Hair: Her Idiot Hair comes unraveled when she's uneasy during the 2011 Bloodbath.
- The Fashionista: According to Word of God.
- Confirmed in the 2013 Halloween event, in which she made both her own and Vietnam's costumes.
- Flower in Her Hair: Plum blossoms, her national flower.
- Flower Motifs: Her hair accessories. Those are Asian plum flowers, which is the national flower of Taiwan. Strange, it's one of the symbolic vestiges of Taiwan's Chinese claim.
- She also has a flower-shaped mark on her thigh◊.
- Lampshaded in her character chart blurb: "If she has flowers and long dark hair, then it's Taiwan-chan."
- Friend to All Living Things: According to these Himaruya chibisTaiwan: If you're too noisy, youíll scare away all the birds and make the flowers die...
- Genki Girl: Very energetic and hyper.
- Joshikousei: Taiwan's preliminary character design for Gakuen Hetalia has her wearing a sailor uniform◊ instead of the more Western clothing Seychelles wears.
- Idiot Hair: Kind of. Hers is longer and droopier than the other characters'.
- Idol Singer: Dresses as one for the 2011 Halloween event, including Girlish Pigtails, Detached Sleeves, and Zettai Ryouki.
- Motor Mouth: Her dialogue can take up the entire panel!
- Otaku: Apparently a huge anime fan, as she dedicates a world meeting to discussing the trope of Hey, It's That Voice! in one of the Birz chapters.
- She also cosplays in both the 2011 and 2013 Halloween events, makes her own costumes (and Vietnam's), and apparently attends anime conventions.
- Asian and Nerdy
- Pink Means Feminine: That's why she's the Girly Girl to Vietnam.
- Plucky Girl: Taiwan's profile mentions that, though she tends to fret and worry, she's also very strong-willed when it counts. Confirmed when she gets some more spotlight and a proper profile in the fourth manga volume.An island girl nation with a headstrong and easygoing personality!Taiwan: It's okay, the Taiwanese don't believe in bad fortunes!Japan: How positive!
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Fanartists sometimes give her this, although she seems to only wear tights with her Gakuen uniform.
- Qipao: She wears one over a long, flowing skirt.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Taiwan usually looks adorable and very pretty, but she looks absolutely gorgeous in more traditional clothing.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Vietnam's blue.
- Supreme Chef: Implied.The good thing about her cooking is that you can thank her for treating you to delicious yet inexpensive cuisine!
- Trademark Favorite Food: According to fandom, bubble tea. Which is actually from Taiwan.
- Confirmed in her character song along with tofu.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Threaten to blackmail her with embarrassing pictures of her sleeping and she'll just comment that they're cute and keep them.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Averted. She has the looks, but canon has pretty much jossed the personalty traits:
- In the Doodles about Asia, while Taiwan keeps the looks, she's also capable of speaking quite more roughly than the average YN lady, referring to China as "bastard" like the quote above shows.
- The drama track from China's CD has her as a Genki Girl who inflicts Amusing Injuries on China (she tries to fix his back and then ends up breaking his arm!) and calls him "old man" to his face.
- And the fourth manga volume throws the YN concept out of the window, by making her the plucky and cheerful energetic girl to all of her Asian siblings.
- Yandere / Cute and Psycho: Sometimes portrayed as one in fanwork, usually toward Japan, though mostly played for laughs.
- She's sometimes portrayed as a Tsundere in fanon too, especially if paired up with Korea or Hong Kong. Considering the fourth manga volume's Taiwan strip, this may be the closest. During the Halloween Event, she has shades of this towards China when she complains about his old man bad health but makes him a "cure" anyway.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her Hetaween costume.
"To be blunt, isn't "not playing the game" the least troublesome option?"
Voiced by: Motoki Takagi (JP), Shelton Windham (EN, World Series), Greg Silva (EN, The Beautiful World)
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Makes several digs against China, like showcasing how he knows exactly what China will wear or do at any given time and constantly referring to him as old in spite of China's indignant protests, and "annoying China" is even listed as one of his hobbies. Which makes him the third Asian sibling who pokes fun at China on a regular basis. China just can't get any respect.
- Fanon loves to portray him as this towards England too during his time as a British territory.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: He has noticeably thicker eyebrows due to a curse from England.
- Born Lucky: Apparently, it's NOT a good idea to place bets against him. Double if it involves China, since HK knows him way too well.Taiwan and Macau: We can't win against Hong Kong!
- The Comically Serious: Keeps his deadpan face even in the craziest situations.
- Covert Pervert: "I said to stop making this kind of art, otherwise I'll have to mosaic it out, aru!"
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown hair and eyes.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially towards China.
- Emotionless Boy: Actually averted, he's not as emotional as Taiwan or Korea but it doesn't mean he lacks emotions at all. He's just really good at keeping them bottled and viewing the world through very snarky eyes. It doesn't necessarily give him a Sugar and Ice Personality.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When he was with China as a child, his hair was in a ponytail like China's and he looked very feminine. When he lived with England, however, he gained Big Ol' Eyebrows and had his hair cut short.
- Gossipy Hens: Male example, according to his volume 4 profiles which lists "gossip" among his interests.
- Slightly confirmed when he starts teasing and almost pestering Iceland due to some things he said about England.
- Overly Long Name/Long Title: Full name: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. Thankfully, he's usually called Hong Kong.
- Hadaka Apron: In the 2010 Christmas Event, he is forced into a maid outfit which he subsequently sheds. China won't stand for such nakedness, so Hong Kong puts on an apron.
- Like Is, Like, a Comma: In one English translation of the fourth manga volume.
- The Medic: In the CD Drama Hetalia Phantasia, he apparently is both this and the...
- Panda-ing to the Audience: Just as much as China, apparently.
- Perpetual Frowner: Starts like this, but he's a little more cheerful in the fourth manga volume.
- Stuff Blowing Up: His profile says that he loves detonating firecrackers, much to England's annoyance. More than one fanwork goes further and depicts him as a full-blown explosives expert.
- Trickster: He uses his firecrackers to play pranks on England, according to Word of God.
"His hobbies include annoying England and China whenever he sees them!"
- And he gets China drunk in the 2010 Christmas special, apparently just for the lulz. That one backfires, though.◊
- Either that, or he was also knocked out by Parallel!America before China.
- Confirmed with his newest profile:
- And he gets China drunk in the 2010 Christmas special, apparently just for the lulz. That one backfires, though.◊
- When He Smiles: Smiles for the first time in the fourth manga volume when telling China that he knows him better than anyone else.
- "Mister... why don't you think about yourself a little more...?"
- Big Brother Instinct: Seems relatively protective over the younger Asian countries, escorting Taiwan to the party and attempting to help Vietnam cover up in the 2013 Halloween event.
- Big Little Brother: While his age is unclear, he's most likely younger than China... but he's still One Head Taller and probably the tallest of the Asians (as is his Nyotalia counterpart).
- The Big Guy: Subverted, despite his height, his manner is too calm and collected to qualify.
- Megane: Wealthy, kind and bespectacled.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Gets this treatment quite often in fanworks.
- Nice GuyHis nature is rather ungreedy; he appears calm and good at business, is tall, and tries to be philosophical (...) He often has a businesslike manner, but he jokes around with Portugal, China, and Hong Kong. He treats Taiwan like a proper lady.
- Non-Action Guy: In the Hetaween event, notes mention that he tends to get pulled into conflicts and get hurt.
- Only Sane Man: China and Hong Kong have a fight caused by China going the Meddling Parents way and Hong Kong struggling to make him back off. What does Macau do? Sits with them, drinks tea, and makes one or two passive-aggressive comments as much.
- Perpetual Smiler: Smiles pleasantly while his siblings fight.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Wears a cheongsam here. While said cheongsam is black in some Himaruya chibis, sometimes fandom also makes it white or green.He often wears smart-looking suits to casinos and in business-related things.
- Smart Ball: Referred to as being skillful and good at making things.
- Spot of Tea: He's shown with a tea cup quite often and drinks it while listening to his siblings fighting.
- Supreme Chef: According to a profile of his, cooking is a specialty of his.
- Team Dad: Seems to be one to Hong Kong and the other Chinese prefectures. And occasionally acts this way towards China.
- The Cameo: In the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010, first. Then he reappears in the fourth manga volume.
- The Gambler: Any wonder?
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Described as such.
- Archer Archetype: In this cameo◊ from Japan and China's Back Story.
- The Faceless: Appears in Volume Four of the manga as a child, but only in silhouette.
- Nice Hat: Has only appeared in a single draft◊ aside of the aforementioned doodle, but fans still comment on the odd hat he wears.
- The Rival: Of Hungary, whom he attacked and bullied as a child according to some sketches.
- The Speechless: His one line in the cameo is "........!"