Axis Powers Hetalia: East Asia
to go back to the character index.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: A popular rendition, which can be played either for drama or for laughs depending on the fandom.
- Chinese People: All of them, especially China. Hong Kong, despite the eyebrows.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Taiwan, the Gender Flip arts of China and Hong Kong (either fanart or the canon Himaruya doodles)
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Vietnam◊ (tomboy) and Taiwan◊ (girly girl) certainly look the part. The fourth manga volume toys with this: Vietnam is mature and reserved, while Taiwan is straightforward and energetic.
- Five-Man Band: In fanwork, the East Asian nations are typically portrayed as one.
- Huge Guy Tiny Other Guy and Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: South Korea (tall enough to stand with America eye-to-eye, which would put him in the 177 cms tall range) has this with Japan (165 cms), China (169 cms.) and Taiwan (150 cms.).
- Non-Human Sidekick: Several of these.
- Mukokuseki: This is a somewhat rare aversion of making the Japanese character generically stateless or anime-like, but making other East Asians more realistic. This time, Japan looks like his relatives.
- Not Blood Siblings: From the anime, Japan's definitely not China's biological brother. The others are debatable whether they're actually related or were just "found".
- Savvy Older Brothers, Energetic Annoying Younger Sibling: Korea and both China and Japan. China and Taiwan, to a degree.
- Taiwan is this to pretty much everyone in East Asia, according to the fourth manga volume.
open/close all folders
R of K - Im Yong Soo
URI NARA MANSAE!
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He would have had chestnut brown hair in the anime series, as evidenced by a character design that was later removed from the official site. Himaruya usually depicts him with black hair or a very dark shade of brown.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Korea's incestuous affection towards China is not returned at all. He's not much luckier when he tries to pursue Japan, either.But somehow, his is the luckiest with Taiwan.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To both China and Japan; he's loud, obnoxious, and says that they should call him their older brother.
- Asian and Nerdy: In his profile, it's said he loves the internet and games. Truth in Television to some degree; Korea apparently has the highest percentage of households with Internet access in the world.
- Art Evolution: Holy crap, it has hit him hard lately.
- Awesome McCoolname: One of the possible readings of "Yong Soo" in Korean is "Water Dragon".
- Big Little Brother: Towards China and Japan.
- Bi the Way: He has groped Japan and China, but lately in Hetaween, he starts taking interest in Taiwan too.
- ... Which doesn't mean he'll stop oooh-ing and aaah-ing at China too.
- Brainy Brunette: Korea really is quite intelligent, seeing as he was able to fix the mind reading binoculars in one strip. Too bad he doesn't show it a lot.
I'm an intellectual, da ze
- Cain and Abel: In Dark Fic, if the not-featured-in-canon North Korea appears, their and Yonsoo's relationship goes like this.
- Completely Missing the Point: Korea's mind-reading binoculars; he utterly misinterprets what they show him.
- Cool Sword: This picture here has him with one. Possibly his Weapon of Choice.
- Demoted to Extra: See What Could Have Been.
- Expressive Hair: Korea's Idiot Hair is sometimes drawn with a face, making this a more literal interpretation of the trope.
- Genki Guy / Keet: Korea is quite cheerful and energetic.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Korea is usually saying he invented things, like education (and of course he didn't).
- Megane: In the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011, he's seen wearing glasses while playing videogames◊.
- Skinship Grope: He really wants to grope both of his brothers's breasts. And once or twice manages to do so.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Yonsoo" or "Yong Soo"?
- Stepford Smiler: He's another one who gets this characterization in Dark Fic.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He loves kimchi so much that he took it up into outer space, causing France to become pissed off.
- Tsundere: During a conversation with Japan, he claims to have invented tsundere (all types, presumably). He is not one himself, but an Annoying Younger Sibling with traces of Hopeless Suitor to China and Japan.
- A-Cup Angst: Despite not being as flat-chested as Liechtenstein, she does fret about about seeing the Western girls' cleavage during the 2011 Bloodbath.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Sports this look, plays it up for all its worth.
- Bathing Beauty: A recent strip implies that both she and Hungary◊ are this. Explained by the rich Taiwanese hot spring culture
- Confirmed in her character song in which she outright references her many hot springs.
- Bi the Way: Possibly. She has some Ship Tease with Japan, but also with Vietnam. Noticeably, Taiwan is very adamant about finding other girls cute (mostly Vietnam, but also in the 2013 Halloween Belarus and Ukraine), and also got distracted by the other girls' cleavage.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: One of the earlier Himaruya sketches has her poking China on the cheek and demanding that he leaves Japan alone, while saying the quote above.
- Confirmed in China's drama CD track, where she teases China a lot (and according to her profile, one of her hobbies is annoying China):
Taiwan: (giggles) Teacherís going crazy!
China: I told you! Iím young, cool, and hip!
- The Beast Master: She's often represented with tigers, magpie birds (the national bird of Taiwan) and oxes in fanart.
- Buxom Is Better: Some fanwork give her size that rival even Ukraine. Her breasts are medium-sized in canon, but not to such an extreme. Subverted as she turns out to have A-Cup Angst.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Mostly averted. Her first apparition has her poking China on the cheek and telling him to lay off Japan; however, her interactions with Japan himself and the other Asians do not have her clinging to him and being a bitch to whoever approaches him. Not to mention, while she does argue with China, it's never about Japan aside of that aforementioned one sketch.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Brown hair and eyes.
- Expressive Hair: Her Idiot Hair comes unraveled when she's uneasy during the 2011 Bloodbath.
- The Fashionista: According to Word of God.
- Confirmed in the 2013 Halloween event, in which she made both her own and Vietnam's costumes.
- Flower in Her Hair: Plum blossoms, her national flower.
- Flower Motifs: Her hair accessories. Those are Asian plum flowers, which is the national flower of Taiwan. Strange, it's one of the symbolic vestiges of Taiwan's Chinese claim.
- Friend to All Living Things: According to these Himaruya chibis
Taiwan: If you're too noisy, youíll scare away all the birds and make the flowers die...
- Genki Girl: Very energetic and hyper.
- Joshikousei: Taiwan's preliminary character design for Gakuen Hetalia has her wearing a sailor uniform◊ instead of the more Western clothing Seychelles wears.
- Idiot Hair: Kind of. Hers is longer and droopier than the other characters'.
- Idol Singer: Dresses as one for the 2011 Halloween event, including Girlish Pigtails, Detached Sleeves, and Zettai Ryouki.
- Motor Mouth: Her dialogue can take up the entire panel!
- Otaku: Apparently a huge anime fan, as she dedicates a world meeting to discussing the trope of Hey, It's That Voice! in one of the Birz chapters.
- She also cosplays in both the 2011 and 2013 Halloween events, makes her own costumes (and Vietnam's), and apparently attends anime conventions.
- Asian and Nerdy
- Pink Means Feminine: That's why she's the Girly Girl to Vietnam.
- Plucky Girl: Taiwan's profile mentions that, though she tends to fret and worry, she's also very strong-willed when it counts. Confirmed when she gets some more spotlight and a proper profile in the fourth manga volume.
An island girl nation with a headstrong and easygoing personality!
Taiwan: It's okay, the Taiwanese don't believe in bad fortunes!
Japan: How positive!
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Fanartists sometimes give her this, although she seems to only wear tights with her Gakuen uniform.
- Qipao: She wears one over a long, flowing skirt.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Taiwan usually looks adorable and very pretty, but she looks absolutely gorgeous in more traditional clothing.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Vietnam's blue.
- Supreme Chef: Implied.
The good thing about her cooking is that you can thank her for treating you to delicious yet inexpensive cuisine!
- Trademark Favorite Food: According to fandom, bubble tea. Which is actually from Taiwan.
- Confirmed in her character song along with tofu.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Threaten to blackmail her with embarrassing pictures of her sleeping and she'll just comment that they're cute and keep them.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Averted. She has the looks, but canon has pretty much jossed the personalty traits:
- In the Doodles about Asia, while Taiwan keeps the looks, she's also capable of speaking quite more roughly than the average YN lady, referring to China as "bastard" like the quote above shows.
- The drama track from China's CD has her as a Genki Girl who inflicts Amusing Injuries on China (she tries to fix his back and then ends up breaking his arm!) and calls him "old man" to his face.
- And the fourth manga volume throws the YN concept out of the window, by making her the plucky and cheerful energetic girl to all of her Asian siblings.
- Yandere / Cute and Psycho: Sometimes portrayed as one in fanwork, usually toward Japan, though mostly played for laughs.
- She's sometimes portrayed as a Tsundere in fanon too, especially if paired up with Korea or Hong Kong. Considering the fourth manga volume's Taiwan strip, this may be the closest. During the Halloween Event, she has shades of this towards China when she complains about his old man bad health but makes him a "cure" anyway.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her Hetaween costume.
"To be blunt, isn't "not playing the game" the
least troublesome option?"
Voiced by: Motoki Takagi
(JP), Shelton Windham (EN, World Series
), Greg Silva (EN, The Beautiful World
"Mister... why don't you think about yourself a little more...?"
- Big Brother Instinct: Seems relatively protective over the younger Asian countries, escorting Taiwan to the party and attempting to help Vietnam cover up in the 2013 Halloween event.
- Big Little Brother: While his age is unclear, he's most likely younger than China... but he's still One Head Taller and probably the tallest of the Asians (as is his Nyotalia counterpart).
- The Big Guy: Subverted, despite his height, his manner is too calm and collected to qualify.
- Megane: Wealthy, kind and bespectacled.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Gets this treatment quite often in fanworks.
- Nice Guy
His nature is rather ungreedy; he appears calm and good at business, is tall, and tries to be philosophical (...) He often has a businesslike manner, but he jokes around with Portugal, China, and Hong Kong. He treats Taiwan like a proper lady.
- Non-Action Guy: In the Hetaween event, notes mention that he tends to get pulled into conflicts and get hurt.
- Only Sane Man: China and Hong Kong have a fight caused by China going the Meddling Parents way and Hong Kong struggling to make him back off. What does Macau do? Sits with them, drinks tea, and makes one or two passive-aggressive comments as much.
- Perpetual Smiler: Smiles pleasantly while his siblings fight.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Wears a cheongsam here. While said cheongsam is black in some Himaruya chibis, sometimes fandom also makes it white or green.
He often wears smart-looking suits to casinos and in business-related things.
- Smart Ball: Referred to as being skillful and good at making things.
- Spot of Tea: He's shown with a tea cup quite often and drinks it while listening to his siblings fighting.
- Supreme Chef: According to a profile of his, cooking is a specialty of his.
- Team Dad: Seems to be one to Hong Kong and the other Chinese prefectures. And occasionally acts this way towards China.
- The Cameo: In the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010, first. Then he reappears in the fourth manga volume.
- The Gambler: Any wonder?
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Described as such.