Audio Play: The New Albion Radio Hour
The New Albion Radio Hour: A Dieselpunk Opera
The New Albion Radio Hour: A Dieselpunk Opera is a 3-Act opera composed and written by Paul Shapera. It is the sequel to The Dolls Of New Albion, and the audio version of the entire play can be found here.The Dieselpunk Opera occurs ten years after the events in Dolls of New Albion, and the featured family this time around is the O'Brians. The story is told by an all-knowing Narrator, who describes a New Albion torn apart by war.
This musical provides examples of:
- All-Knowing Singing Narrator: Of the Radio Broadcaster variety.
- Except for when Jackie hears his narration in Blood Red Dogs and has a moral disagreement. She gets into a second argument with him in the Finale over his actual role of either telling the story or creating it.
- Descent Into Darkness Song: The Pitch starts out with a very catchy and upbeat tune. Then, about two-thirds of the way through, the music cuts out into a brief interlude that calls the dark nature of the super soldier program into the forefront before going back to the happy upbeat music.
- Fanfare: The Pitch from Act I.
- Heroic Sacrifice: John and Jackie do this to protect Constance at the Battle of Cryer's Boulevard.
- "I Am" Song: The Green Room Pale. Doubles as a Grief Song.
- MacGuffin: the MCG serves no other purpose.
- The Mole: Thomas, Constance's boyfriend, is an undercover cop.
- Parental Abandonment: John left Constance with his sister Jackie to join the war effort after his wife is killed in a bombing.
- Phlebotinium Rebel: John becomes this by the end.
- Rebel Leader: Jackie turns out to be one.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized
- Super Soldier: Freedom Corps will make you a new man! By replacing various bits and limbs with iron parts. John is apparently the only one who survived the process.
- Truth Serums: Putting it in the water supply under Parliament is what kicked off the revolution.