- Accidental Aesop: Social trial and error can sometimes lead to friendship.
- Accidental Innuendo: A cow who drinks milk would be like a grown woman who drinks breast milk.
- Base-Breaking Character: Pinkie's Innocently Insensitive behavior toward Cranky Doodle Donkey. For some it's hilarious whereas for others it's disturbing and annoying.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: The episode opens with Pinkie suiting up in a leotard, leg warmers and headband and doing a Flashdance routine for the Cake twins. Aside from having Pinkie in it, it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the episode.
- Broken Base: The whole episode (yes, another one). Putting aside Pinkie's song, you either love this episode because it delves into surprisingly mature (by this show's standards) territory and its hilarious Looney Tunes-esque gags, or you hate it because it turns Pinkie into an unlikable MareFilly and having an ultra-contrived happy ending.
- Designated Villain: We're supposed to side against Cranky throughout the episode because he's grouchy and repeatedly tells Pinkie Pie to buzz off. Pinkie annoys him to no end simply because he's new to Ponyville and wants to fulfill her new friend quota. Her being too Innocently Insensitive and constantly barging in on his life (which includes breaking into his house and destroying his possessions) makes Cranky a sympathetic character who rightly calls her out on such intrusiveness.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Jerkass Woobie: Cranky Doodle Donkey. Even if his name fits the bill, you can't help but feel sorry for him when he goes through Pinkie constantly, though unintentionally, humiliating him.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The scene where Pinkie sticks her eyeball through the lock... GAAAAH!
- Also, the dough-Pinkie, with black holes where her eyes should be. Then Pinkie eats Dough!Pinkie.
- Padding: As awesome a song as "Smile Smile Smile" is, did it really need three and a half minutes of screentime just to re-iterate that Pinkie Pie is friendly and nice?
- Paranoia Fuel: Pinkie Pie's mission to get to know everypony in Ponyville. This takes a drastic turn when she obsesses over Cranky.
- Uncanny Valley:
YMMV / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S2 E18 "A Friend in Deed"