- Anti-Climax Boss: Instead of having an epic showdown with William Blake, Cole Wilson arrives in the last few minutes and dies rather quietly, while Blake just watches from afar. Most likely a deliberate use of the trope, given the film's love of playing with Western conventions.
- Awesome Music: Improvised by Neil Young while watching the film.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Johnny Depp's character William Blake is a man out of his depth aided by a Magical Native American. He would later go on to play Magical Native American Tonto in Disney's The Lone Ranger.
- One-Scene Wonder: Pretty much half the cast. Highlights include Crispin Glover as a creepy train fireman, Robert Mitchum in his last notable role as John Dickinson, John Hurt as his secretary, Gabriel Byrne as his son and Alfred Molina as a racist trading post missionary, as well as Billy Bob Thornton, Jared Harris and Iggy Pop(!) as a trio of deranged hicks.
YMMV / Dead Man