Alfredo "Alfred" Molina (born 24 May 1953) is an English character actor who began his career mostly typecast into "foreigner" roles due to his Spanish and Italian heritage. Nevertheless, Molina has carved out a career spanning more than three decades on stage and in film. His turn as Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2 was arguably his biggest mainstream breakout, but before that he had racked up a steady array of memorable performances: in Frida as legendary Mexican painter Diego Rivera, Boogie Nights as Rahad Jackson, Prick Up Your Ears as Kenneth Halliwell, Boris the Butcher in The Man Who Knew Too Little, Dudley Do-Right as Snidely Whiplash and even his debut film performance in Raiders of the Lost Ark as Satipo, Indy's treacherous assistant at the beginning.
He also has a distinguished theatre career, playing Tevye in the revival of Fiddler on the Roof and originating the role of the great abstract expressionist painter Mark Rothko in the play Red. among other things.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) — Satipo
- Prick Up Your Ears (1987) — Kenneth Halliwell
- Maverick (1994) — Angel
- Species (1995) — Dr. Stephen Arden
- Boogie Nights (1997) — Rahad Jackson
- The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997) — Boris 'The Butcher' Blavasky
- Magnolia (1999) — Solomon Solomon
- Dudley Do-Right (1999) — Snidely Whiplash (voice)
- Frida (2002) — Diego Rivera
- Coffee and Cigarettes (2003) — As Himself
- Identity (2003) — Dr. Malick
- Spider-Man 2 (2004) — Dr. Otto Octavius
- The Da Vinci Code (2006) — Bishop Manuel Aringarosa
- Chill Out, Scooby-Doo! (2007)- Professor Jeffries (voice)
- Wonder Woman (2009) — Ares (voice)
- The Tempest (2010) — Stephano
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) — Maxim Horvath
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) — Sheik Amar
- Rango (2011) — Roadkill (voice)
- Abduction (2011) — Burton
- Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness (2012) — Ke-pa (voice)
- Monsters University (2013) — Professor Knight (voice)
- Rick and Morty (2014)- Lucius Needful
- The Normal Heart (2014) — Ben Weeks
- Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero (2014-2017) — Rippen (voice)
- Dragons: Riders of Berk (2016-2017) — Viggo Grimborn (voice)
- Angie Tribeca (2016 - ) — Dr. Edelweiss
- Robot Chicken — Lex Luthor
- Feud: Bette and Joan (2017) - Robert Aldrich
- Justice League Dark (2017) — Destiny
- Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie (2017) — La Sombra (voice)
- Ralph Breaks the Internet (2017) — Double Dan (voice)
This actor provides examples of:
- As Himself: In Coffee and Cigarettes, Molina played an exaggeratedly Woobie version of himself, in contrast to his scene partner, Steve Coogan, playing a heightened Jerkass version of himself. This was nearly unanimously regarded as one of the standout vignettes in the film due to an epic reversal at the end of their scene.
- Evil Brit: He's often typecast as one."I love being added to that list of English actors playing villains. I guess somewhere in the history of American film and television someone decided that the English accent sounded somehow villainous."
- I Call It "Vera": Molina had pet names for his four mechanical tentacles as Doc Ock. Harry and Larry were the bottom two, Moe was the top right one and Flo was the top left one.
- Plays Great Ethnics: He's played Russians, Arabs, Mexicans, and a Peruvian. (And a Belgian.)