- Animation Age Ghetto: It's telling that the film was released a year after Blazing Saddles, a live-action comedy that, while not without its own critics, also featured similarly overused racist language to depict racism as horrible and is considered a masterpiece. While this movie, being an animated crime-drama, is relegated to the "exploitation" category.
- Angst? What Angst?: Marigold didn't seem particularly fazed when her dad, the sheriff, gets stabbed and presumably killed by the brothers.
- Awesome Music: The film's theme song, "Coonskin No More" by Scatman Crothers. "Walk on, niggas, walk on!"
- Designated Hero: Despite being the protagonist, Brother Rabbit has no qualms about killing at the drop of a hat.
- Mexicans Love Speedy Gonzales: The film was widely popular with African-American audiences, to the point where many couldn't believe that Bakshi was white.
- Misblamed: Much of the film's controversy came from its usage of blackface stereotypes and repeated usage of the N-word. However, what most people don't understand was that a lot of this was intentional as a mockery of the otherwise offensive portrayal of African-Americans in cartoons of the 1940s.
- Overshadowed by Controversy: Thanks to Al Sharpton, who famously denounced the movie while refusing to actually see it and lobbied to have it pulled from theaters. It apparently got so bad that one theater showing the film was smoke bombed by protestors.
- Special Effects Failure: Probably the intention, but the animated characters don't really blend in well with the live-action backgrounds (most of which are very dimly lit, by the way).
- Values Dissonance: Like Blazing Saddles above, satire or not, there's absolutely no way a film like this would get made nowadays without being slammed with accusations and controversy.
- Vindicated by History: The film initially received mixed reviews upon its release (the above mentioned controversy most certainly didn't help). Nowadays, it's much more positively received and the satire is still pretty relevant.
YMMV / Coonskin