- Awesome Music:
- Bizarro Episode:
- The music video for Magnetic North has absolutely nothing to do with pirates and instead features a prison and wild west theme.
- This video is a parody of Lady Gaga's music video for Telephone. Magnetic North was intentionally composed in a way that matches Lady Gaga's singing in Telephone, as demonstrated in this video put together by lead singer Christopher Bowes himself.
- Covered Up: Wolves of the Sea is a cover of a song by Pirates of the Sea from the 2008 Eurovision Song Contest.
- Ear Worm: The violin/Accordion section of Keelhauled.
- Do what you want, 'cause a pirate is free, You are a pirate!
- Rum, beer, quests and mead / These are the things that a pirate needs / Raise the flag and let's set sail / Under the sign of the Storm of Ale
- Most inappropriately of all...FUCK! YOU! WITH A FUCKING ANCHOR! YOU'RE ALL CUNTS SO FUCK YOU ALL!
- Ending Fatigue: The title track from Sunset on the Golden Age is a little over eleven minutes long and features many, many false endings.
- It's the Same, Now It Sucks!: A complaint about the band is that they lack variety in sounds and themes.
- However on closer listen, the band's sound has changed noticeably over the years. The various member changes over the years, the addition of real strings, brass, accordions and other folk instruments from their second album onwards and the addition of harsh vocals upon Elliot Vernon joining the band all add up to a very noticeable difference, at least in musical style, between their first album and Sunset On The Golden Age.
- Narm Charm: Yes, they dress up as pirates on-stage. The singer has an extremely cheesy pirate voice. It's awesome. Their songs range from pirate-themed ballads to epically silly songs with lyrics like:Hey! Hey! I want more wenches!Hey! Hey! More wenches and mead!
- Signature Song: Thanks to their gimmick and one-of-a-kind sound, a lot of the band's songs are fairly iconic, but "Keelhauled" and "You Are a Pirate" are probably their most recognizable pieces.
YMMV / Alestorm