The Fabulous Kangaroos were a Professional Wrestling Tag Team that existed in one form or another from 1957 to 1983. They were started by Al Costello and Roy Heffernan and debuted in Stampede Wrestling. Their gimmick was of an, to use Costello's words, "Ultra Australian" team. They would go on to compete in multiple territories, including Florida, Detroit, Los Angeles, Capitol Wrestling (the precursor to WWE) and many others. Over time, Ray St. Clair, Bruno Bekkar, Don Kent, Tony Charles, and Johnny Heffernan would all spend time as members of the team. Among their many in-ring achievements, the Costello/Heffernan version were 3x NWA Capitol Wrestling United States Tag Team Champions, Costello held the NWA (Detroit) World Tag Team Titles three times (1x w/St. Clair and 2x w/Don Kent), and Don Kent held the WWC (Puerto Rico) World Tag Team Titles twice, once with Costello and once with Heffernan. The Costello/Heffernan team was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame in 1996.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
- Alliterative Name: Bruno Bekkar
- Finishing Move: Boomerang (Catapult into a knockout punch)
- Heels: To the extent that they actually provoked riots.
- Kangaroos Represent Australia
- Land Down Under: Well, duh.
- Legacy Team: Al Snow teamed with Mickey Doyle and Denny Kass as the New Fabulous Kangaroos.
- Middle Name Basis: Roy Heffernan used his real name, but his first name was Laurence.
- Nice Hat: Bush hats
- Stage Names:
- Al Costello was born Giacomo Costa.
- Don Kent was born Leo Joseph Smith Jr.
- Bruno Bekkar was born Bryan Ashby.
- Ray St. Clair was born Ramon Napolitano.
- Johnny Heffernan was born Bob Della Serra.
- Tuckerization: The name "Al Costello" was taken from Al Capone and Frank Costello.
- Unrelated Cousin: Johnny Heffernan was this to Roy.