Once Upon a Snowman is a 2020 computer-animated Short Film part of the Frozen franchise. It tells the story of snowlem Olaf between his creation and meeting the heroes in the first Frozen (2013) film.
Once Upon a Snowman contains examples of:
- Backstory: The short tells the story of what happened to Olaf before Anna and Kristoff meet him.
- The Darkness Gazes Back: When Olaf leaves Wandering Oaken's with his new sausage nose, a pack of wolves peer at him through the trees.
- The Door Slams You: Olaf gets whacked with the door of Wandering Oaken's by Anna as she exits the store.
- Failure Montage: When Oaken tries to help Olaf find a nose, the short cuts between several shots of Olaf wearing a different item from the shop and rejecting each one.
- Interquel: The short tells the story of what happens between Elsa creating Olaf and Anna and Kristoff finding him in Frozen (2013).
- Name Amnesia: Having just come to life for the first time, Olaf can't recall his own name until the end of the film.
- Quest for Identity: Olaf spends the short trying to find his name, as well as a nose.
- Savage Wolves: Played with. The wolves that were chasing Anna and Kristoff in Frozen (2013) show up and chase Olaf, but an explanation is given this time: they're hungry and after a sausage that Olaf has. One of the directors says that after Olaf sacrifices the sausage, at least one of the wolves becomes much nicer.
- Shout-Out: In a sneak peek, Olaf comes to life and acknowledges doing so by sitting up with arms outstretched in the classic Frankenstein pose.
- Synchronous Episodes: This short takes place in the middle of Frozen (2013), and scenes from the film can be seen in the background behind Olaf's antics. Specifically, Elsa building her ice palace can be seen from afar, and Olaf briefly flies past Anna and Kristoff arguing about Anna's engagement.