"Vampire Phantasm" is an online comic about a group of (you guessed it) vampires and their lives in a dystopian world; always under the ominous gaze of a twisted high vampire.
The story begins with Jack Price and his wife enjoying a quiet evening at home. A knock comes at the door, and while Jack doesn't see anyone, we see a white-haired man sneak into the home. This man is Orlock, an incredibly powerful vampire, who proceeds to murder Jack's wife and daughter right before his eyes.
Following a Time Skip, the existence of vampires is now public knowledge, and Jack has become a vampire. He's followed by Vallov, his servant, and Topaz, his best friend from high school, who was also turned into a vampire against his will in an unrelated incident. They travel the landscape, living from victim to victim, pursued by Orlock.
Located here: http://www.vermillionworks.com/vp/ updating every Tuesday!
Also make sure to read Vampire Phantasm Excrucio, a short webcomic which tells of most of the events during the Time Skip, which includes how Topaz was turned, and how Orlock turned Jack, a loving and happy father, into a bloodthirsty, near-mad vampire.
This comic provides examples of:
- Audience Surrogate: Topaz, who knows even less about the vampire underground than the reader does at the time of his introduction.
- Beneath the Mask: It's been suggested that Jill is not always being herself.
- Big Bad: Maximillian Orlock.
- The Big Guy: Jack's drone servant, Vallov.
- Broken Bird: Jill.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Many of the characters have had some bad stuff happen to them, but most of all...poor Jack.
- Dystopia: Much of Europe is in a bad state thanks to Orlock and his guild, the Highgates.
- Evil Mentor: Orlock to Jack, much to Jack's distress.
- Fourth W All Mail Slot: An animation of one done by the creators of the comic can be downloaded here.
- High Collar of Doom: Orlock's wardrobe. Emphasis on "doom"
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Orlock and Jack's relationship is dysfunctional to say the least.
- Laughing Mad: Jack is prone to this, especially in VPX.
- Living Shadow: Jack's powers over darkness allow him to become a living shadow.
- Named After Somebody Famous: "Jack Price"Topaz: "Wasn't your father's name Vincent or something?"
- Our Vampires Are Different: The vampires in this webcomic are rather traditional by modern standards. They need blood to drink, will burn in the sunlight, are generally evil unless turned against their will, will either keep to themselves or travel in small packs, and certain "noble" vampires, for lack of a better term, seem to be endowed with stronger powers than usual. The only differences from these vampires and Stoker's vampires are the fact that they are unaffected by crosses. We have yet to see someone try garlic on them. Eye color is also significant, to the point that vampire hunters shine special lights on people's faces to make sure that they're human.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Topaz
- Psychotic Smirk: Jack almost always has one of these planted on his face.
- Slasher Smile: Jack and Orlock get slasher smiles when they become especially violent.
- Sound-Only Death: Jill's first impression of Jack and Topaz is hearing them slaughter an entire group of vampire hunters from behind a door.
- Tempting Fate: Jack did this in many ways in the prologue. Leaving the front door wide open didn't help either.
- Too Happy to Live: Jack's family.
- The Lost Lenore: Jack's wife, Emily.
- Vampiric Draining: This is in Vampire Phantasm, naturally.
- Weakened by the Light: The vampires of Vampire Phantasm are the kind that burn in the sun.
- Your Head A-Splode: One of Orlock's favorite things to do with his psychic powers.