Heroina Robot Detective is an online comic series, written and drawn by Illustrious Crackpot. The main character is the titular Heroina — the only functioning Artificial Intelligence in the world. Not long after her invention, her inventor is murdered, and the local homicide squad bring the malfunctioning Heroina to the station to log her as evidence. They consult a mechanic who manages to repair her, and, while they're trying to figure out what to do with her, her passive observations help them crack a tough case. Lt. "Sparky" Collohaven advocates her usefulness, and so she becomes...Heroina, Robot Detective!
Despite the extravagant-sounding title, the general tone is quite serious, with occassional bouts of comic relief provided by officer Lucas Yancy and officer Miaka Hoshi, as well as the exchanges between Heroina and officer Patrick "Butch" Boyce, Heroina's occassional partner (and biggest opposer).
Crackpot has stated that she's "definitely [not going to] be doing anything serious with it for a while, since I have to make a lot of improvements on my comic style first". The characters can be seen in four comics, however — three (not counting prologue or epilogue) comics that were Crackpot's entry into an Original Character Tournament, and one eight-page Whodunnit. Even though Crackpot's not working on the comics right now, she occassionally puts sketches, doodles, or humorous one-shots here, or on her Tumblr.
Tropes that apply to Heroina Robot Detective include...
- All Just a Dream: The epilogue of the Roulette City OCT turns out to be a pitch for a comic book thought up by Lukie and Miaka.
- Da Chief: Averted by Captain Georges, who's far more calm than the typical chief. He recognizes Heroina's efficiency and helps to keep her a secret from the government.
- Eureka Moment: "*click* The identity of the killer is obvious." Which results in Big Whats from Lt. Collohaven and Butch.
- Funetik Aksent: Lt. Collohaven drops a lot of consonants in text, and scatters a lot of "th'" and "ta'" about.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Butch is brusque, stubborn and impatient, but he has good intentions.
- Literal-Minded: Heroina.Butch: Who reads this junk?Heroina: Currently: Officer Patrick Boyce.Butch: Oh, shut up.
- My Sensors Indicate You Want to Tap That: A lighter example — one sketch shows Butch carrying Heroina and getting flustered about it. Heroina notes that his temperature is elevated, and proceeds to list potential remedies.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Miaka only speaks with faltering English because she thinks it's cute — she's actually entirely fluent.
- Posthumous Character: Dr. Raffoxe, Heroina's creator, is dead. Heroina has vague memories of her.
- Robot Girl: Heroina, although she's not as humanoid as most examples of this trope. Lampshaded in the epilogue of Roulette City, where an alternative design for Heroina is drawn in a way more Fanservice-y fashion.
- The Killer Was Left-Handed: Elle Veras in Little Things.
- The Stoic: Captain Georges.
- Those Two Guys: Officer Lukie and officer Miaka.
- UST: Butch thinks this exists between Heroina and him. Heroina, of course, has no opinion on the matter.