Astral Aves is a fantasy webcomic set in a world where people can access magic by taking advantage of two planes of existence: the human Diurne and the Nocturne, a literal Shadowland inhabited by otherworldly beings. The Diurne is divided into four kingdoms corresponding to directions and times of day. The greatest attention is devoted to the Black Horn, the wild northern peninsula where cults and black magic are the norm. The lead characters are childhood friends Astra the Black, Lorn Avenarius, and Philippa Twentysuns.
It can be found here.
Book one follows Astra, daughter of the moon prince, and her friend Lorn Avenarius as Astra sneaks up to the balcony of a old decrepit castle and says some fate altering words before two ravens under a crescent moon. This leaves Astra Fateless (which is feared by some otherworldly beings). They then rush back to their caretakers, carrying two raven feathers. Astra's father is making war plans when they get back, and plays the overprotective father role for both Astra and Lorn.
Provides examples of:
- Arc Words: Two ravens betwixt a crescent moon break thee free of fate and unravel thy doom.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Astra is wanted for high treason, heresy, and tax evasion.
- The tax evasion line has come back twice more so far.
- Casting a Shadow: Residents of the Diurne cast shadows, while those of the Nocturne cast light.
- Creepy Ravens: Associated with Astra and Lorn, and chaotically aligned.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The protagonists have problems with both the more daylight-aligned kingdoms, and with the Nocturne, due to their use of the occult and shadows, respectively.
- Dark World: The Nocturne and Diurne vaguely mirror each other. The corporeal and ethereal powers of items tend to be inverted.
- Dimensional Traveler: Anyone crossing between the Nocturne and Diurne
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: Black Horn, Seat of Shadows, Bay of Atrament.
- Living Shadow: Shadows can fight other shadows/lights, and many inhabitants of the Nocturne are themselves shadowy.
- Lunacy: Begins under a crescent moon. The presence of the sun and moon in the sky affect the powers of lights and shadows.
- The Lost Woods: The Parallax Wood, home to mystical portals,"transcorporeal strigiforms".
- Meaningful Titles: Significant characters tend to accumulate these.
- Monster Compendium: Inverted. The inhabitants of the Nocturne keep records of the humans who enter their realm.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Most characters who cross between the worlds have dramatic titles due to their power and sometimes exaggerated reputations.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Standard attire for the Black Horn.
- Spirit World: Elements of the Diurne and Nocturne are corporeal and ethereal, respectively, but most inhabitants of each plane view the other mystically.
- The Power of Friendship: Practical if one has friends on the other side.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Numinous Nocturnous, though the lore in it is fairly encyclopedic.