The Proper People is a duo of YouTubers, Bryan and Michael, who film and photograph abandoned areas as part of various urban exploration ventures. The channel began in 2014 and has amassed over 915,000 subscribers as of February 2020.
Provides examples of:
- Abandoned Area: Of course. It's the main focus of the channel.
- Angry Guard Dog: They encountered quite a few while exploring some areas in China, though fortunately the dogs were smaller and more of a nuisance than anything.
- Author Appeal: Bryan and Michael have an interest in mechanical keyboards, and will highlight any they happen to find, especially to comment on the feel of the keys.
- Author Tract: Some videos venture into this, when the hosts (usually Michael) express admiration for the artistry of older buildings and disappointment that newer architecture tends to feel "disposable".
- Early Installment Weirdness: Earlier videos are less stylistically consistent and noticeably not as serious as newer ones.
- Lonely Piano Piece: Some of their videos feature a recurring slow piece of piano music over cinematic shots of the location being explored.
- Paranormal Investigation: One of the segments on the channel, Bumps in the Night, sought to combine urban exploration with paranormal investigation. Bryan and Michael are both skeptical of ghosts and such, but figured they might as well try it out.
- The hosts typically don't reveal the locations of the areas they explore, both as a safety precaution for other (possibly less-experienced) explorers and to not aid anyone with harmful intent, like vandals and arsonists. If this can't be avoided solely by not saying the location, they'll blur out any signage or other text that might give it away.
- They also blur out sensitive information, such as old patient records in abandoned hospitals.
- Running Gag:
- Discovering chairs that are "just chillin'."
- Finding Christmas decorations, even in unlikely locations.
- Scenery Gorn: Again, the main draw of the channel is abandoned, rotting buildings and other structures.
- Something Completely Different: One episode is based around driving the supposedly paranormal Clinton Road in New Jersey. No urban exploration to speak of there.