The Greater Good is a 2013 Harry Potter fanfilm written and directed by Justin Zagri starring Christopher James Cramer as Albus Dumbledore, Josh Brodis as Gellert Grindelwald, Colin Goodridge as Aberforth Dumbledore and Kari Swanson as Ariana Dumbledore.
Set almost a hundred years before Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, this film shows the end of the friendship between Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald, and the tragedy that left the Dumbledore family in ruins.
The video can be found here.
This work provides examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Gellert's hair looks closer to a light brown than blond, while Albus's hair is a dark brown rather than auburn like it is mentioned to be.
- Age-Inappropriate Dress: Even accounting for the period setting, Ariana's dress is unsettlingly child-like, presumably reflecting her mental state.
- Agony Beam: The opening salvo of the duel is from Gellert, who casts Crucio on Aberforth.
- Beam-O-War: A quick one happens between Albus and Gellert.
- Big Brother Instinct: Albus doesn't even draw out his wand until Grindelwald starts torturing Aberforth.
- Aberforth himself is mostly concerned with protecting Ariana.
- Blown Across the Room:
- Gellert gets blown across the sea.
- Albus is blown towards the sky, and later against a rock.
- Continuity Nod: "Arresto Momentum!"
- Death by Origin Story: Ariana is killed by one of the two stray killing curses at the end.
- Dramatic IronyAriana: "I want to see mumma."
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Ariana, in Aberforth's arms.
- Last-Name Basis: Albus stops calling his former friend "Gellert" when he finally sees his true colors.
- Period Piece: Their outfits are mostly accurate for the era.
- Playing Tennis with the Boss: Gellert reflects several of Albus and Aberforth's spells right back at them, and they do the same to him.
- Save the Villain: At one point, Albus puts himself between Aberforth and Grindelwald, preventing Aberforth from killing Gellert. It's ambiguous whether his "I can't" is because he's literally incapable of killing Gellert or that he can't let his little brother do it.
- Albus uses the killing curse himself against Gellert immediately afterwards, suggesting that it was his job, but there's the possibility that he was expecting another Beam-O-War.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Grindelwald apparates elsewhere at the end.
- Sibling Team: Albus and Aberforth tag team Grindelwald, even launching a combined attack against him at one point.
- Worthy Opponent: Albus for Gellert. Grindelwald refuses to attack Dumbledore until he has drawn his wand, he says that he had always wanted to fight Albus, and refuses to take the opportunity to shoot him in the back.
- "I used to bring her here... She said she felt safe..."