You assume the role of a human on a car trip, simply going down the road to reach a certain destination that can be picked by the player, as the premise of the game is that the story is as moldable as it can be according to your actions. Eventually your car stops and you're left stranded in the middle of nowhere, until you are eventually arrested by a strange, boar-like creature and brought into the town of Blackgate, a town off the map where mystical creatures live in and are frightened by your kind due to an unknown mystery that you must uncover.
As mentioned above, the game's premise is to be a "nonlinear visual novel" that can make or completely break the narrative. This is game where YOU make the choices, resulting in a story that completely bends according to what you pick and what you do. It features plenty of characters, some of them being allies that you'll stick with through out the path you've chosen, as you learn about them, the town and your influence in it.
The game has been in development for two years and you can download the latest update from the Patreon page linked above.
Blackgate provides examples of:
- Bi the Way: The player character seems to be this, though shows a large preference towards men. One of the only female characters, a minotauress named Helle, is a Straight Option, but the protagonist doesn't really seem to show any attraction to her.
- But Thou Must!: You will occasionally get choices where one option is crossed out, with a simple "No" or "I won't do that" being stated should you pick it.
- Coitus Ensues: Can happen if the player makes the right choices.
- For Want of a Nail: Most obvious with the police route, a seeming arbitrary choice of what radio station you pick ultimately decides who you're partnered with.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Allin is the bartender who flirts with everybody, including the Player Character. If one doesn't pick the Bartender route, he may come off as a creep or kind of annoying, but if that route is picked, it is almost 100% guaranteed you'll love him and want to be his friend.
- Multiple Endings: Every character route has a different ending, although some can make much more of an impact on the story's events than others.
- Nice Hat: As shown in the Librarian route, the protagonist sports a baseball cap.
- Optional Sexual Encounter: Many of the scenes are entirely avoidable with a simple option to accept or decline.