Boyfriend has been tasked by Steven to keep Beach City safe while he's gone. However, things go south following the arrival of a massive drill carrying a strange pink Gem...
Vs. Spinel contains examples of:
- Adaptational Late Appearance: Implied. The reason Boyfriend is watching over Beach City is because Steven has gone on vacation after coming to terms with his trauma, implying the events of Steven Universe: Future have played out to some degree by the time Spinel shows up.
- Adaptation Personality Change: While Boyfriend is still pretty stupid, with him making an incredibly dangerous bet with Spinel rather than getting Steven to deal with it, hes noticeably more willing to talk back to his opponents and crack jokes rather than speaking nonsensical beep-boops. His personality here is more akin to Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Girlfriend is normally just as stupid as Boyfriend, and doesnt take mind to whatever danger theyre in. Here, she is aware of the danger of this situation and suggests a reasonable alternative rather than rapping. After Boyfriend ignores her, shes basically stuck in Sarcasm Mode.
- Deadpan Snarker: Girlfriend.
- Eye Take: Girlfriends reaction when she realizes Spinel is about to throw Boyfriend.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Boyfriend claims to have this sort of relationship with Steven.
- Mythology Gag: The mod ends with Spinel throwing Boyfriend into the air and jumping after him, much like what happens at the climax of the movie. They even start singing the melody of Change.
- Only Sane Woman: Girlfriend is the only one aware of how ridiculous the situation is.
- Suddenly Voiced: Boyfriend speaks in actual words rather than his usual beeps and boops in this mod.