Virtua Quest, known in Japan as Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation: Ambition of Judgment 6, is an Action RPG spin-off of Sega's seminal Virtua Fighter series of 3D fighting games. It was co-developed by Sega AM2 and TOSE Software for the Nintendo Gamecube and Playstation 2, and was released in Japan in August 2004, with an American release the following year.
Virtua Quest takes place 20 Minutes into the Future, where society revolves around a vast virtual reality network known as "Nexus". Players assume the role of Sei, a 14-year-old boy who takes up a job as a "Hunter", exploring the forgotten corners of Nexus in search of valuable lost data. His dive into one lost server leads Sei to uncover a "Virtua Soul", ghost data containing the martial arts techniques of those who competed in the World Fighting Tournament of the late-20th and early-21st centuries. Unfortunately, Sei is not the only one looking for Virtua Souls; the criminal organization known as Judgment 6 is also hunting for them to further their own nefarious ends. It's a race against time as Sei must thwart Judgment 6's ambitions and get the Virtua Souls first!
- Bullet Time: "Synapse Break" allows Sei to temporarily slow down time, giving him an edge in combat.
- Cyberspace: Nexus is a vast VR landscape encompassing various locations.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: Sei's Hunter's Glove allows him to fire a wire that allows him to navigate the battlefield, as well as pull enemies towards him, or launch himself to enemies in mid-air.
- Limit Break: The "Synapse Bomber" ability allows Sei to transform into a Virtua Fighter briefly and launch a powerful attack, but it is Cast From HP.
- Robot Buddy: Bit is a small robotic-looking companion who can help Sei fight and provide a variety of functions based on its form, from healing Sei to notifying him of nearby Virtua Souls.
- Video-Game Lives: "Load Revive" items function as extra lives. In the event that Sei runs out of HP, if he has a Load Revive, it will automatically restore him to maximum HP.
- Virtual Ghost: The Virtua Souls contain the fighting data of the cast of Virtua Fighter 4. In order to learn their techniques, Sei must best the fighter composing the Soul's data first.