Do you have what it takes to brave the inferno?
A freeware platformer made for the Toronto Game Jam of 2011, by FrankieSmileShow and the Monster King, with music by Chef Boyardee.
The player takes the role of a firefighter, which entails pulling off Heroic Fire Rescues and keeping fires under control. The firefighter is equipped with An Axe to Grind and a fire extinguisher for putting out fires.
The examples below contain unmarked spoilers.
This game provides examples of:
- Alien Invasion: During the first (and only) level, the building is attacked by a Horde of Alien Locusts.
- An Axe to Grind: The fire axe is used for breaking down doors and debris in the first half. It becomes the only weapon against the aliens.
- Collision Damage: The fire's main way of damaging you.
- Die, Chair! Die!: You can axe the toilets to release water which can douse nearby flames.
- Downer Ending: Although you can save everybody from the fire, the game ends after you kill the firetruck-alien boss in the ruins of Station 37. After the End Game Results Screen, the credits roll in a shot of the ruined, alien-infested city. Your save file is locked by the alien infestation, meaning that you'll only come to the credits screen by loading it.
- Difficulty Spike: Comes with the Alien Invasion.
- Emergency Services: Features firefighters.
- End Game Results Screen: Shows how many civilians you managed to save, the number of living, dead and assimilated civilians, and the number of aliens killed. As you remain on the screen, the number of living civilians falls and the dead and assimilated increase in number.
- Equipment Upgrade: Subverted; There is a shop at your station for these but you have no money for any of them, and the game ends after the first level is completed.
- Featureless Protagonist: The player is in full firefighting gear, unlike the chief who has his face exposed.
- Flying Saucer
- Heroic Fire Rescue
- Title Sequence
- Trailers Always Lie: The trailer and screenshots imply that there is more than one level.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: The Alien Invasion induces this, giving you enemies to fight along with the fire.
- Video Game Caring Potential: Even though the game changes to surviving the Alien Invasion, you can still rescue everybody from the fire.