Our hero, Skinny wakes up from a seemingly ideal dream, to be greeted by the enigmatic mechanical being calling herself "Mama". She tasks him to find the batteries powering the chairs into which her "little-ones" are strapped. However, the batteries were stolen by a little boy called Felix. Skinny begins his quest, but starts questioning Mama's motives.
Tropes present in this game:
- After the End: Natch. Mama mentions a "global nuclear power war" as the cause of it all.
- Anti-Hero: Felix wants to free people from the System, but he's perfectly content with Skinny reconnecting them if they bother him too much.
- Big Bad: Mama.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Giant spiders that steal your batteries.
- Bolivian Army Ending: The game ends with Skinny entering Mama's lair to confront her. We never see how it goes.
- Black-and-Gray Morality: The vaguely-positive characters are: a robot who (although with good intention) cables people into a Lotus-Eater Machine, a little girl who mocks the robot constantly, a little boy who wants to free the mind of people by violently ripping them out of the System, causing them to go mad, and a man having random fits of rage who chooses to go back into the System to keep everyone safe from himself. Mama is much worse.
- Crapsack World: The world is a desolate mishmash of ruined buildings, only populated by vicious mutant spiders, people cabled up to The System, a few runaway children and of course, the omnipresent Mama.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The foreground, including all the characters and useful objects, are all the deepest shade of black, while the backgrounds are much more brightly colored.
- Deus Est Machina: Suggested with Mama. Likely untrue, as Felix mentions her also having a System chair, implying she might also be human.
- Dramatically Missing the Point: One of the "little ones", apparently a televangelist or a preacher, makes a comment on how the Devil lives in the television. Quite ironic considering where he himself actually is.
- Evil Matriarch: Mama.
- HeelFace Turn: Skinny.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Apparently, this is one of the effects stemming from withdrawal from the System. One of the "little-ones" threatens Skinny with eating him before getting reconnected to the System, and Blake mentions that he attempted to bite Felix's head off in a fit of rage.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shirley gives Skinny a deriding nickname and reminds him constantly how creepy and scary he looks. Still, she relays a lot of useful information to him and ultimately motivates him to perform a HeelFace Turn.
- Jerkass Woobie: Almost everyone who has been disconnected from the System. The exceptions are those who have gone completely nuts, Skinny and Blake.
- Lotus-Eater Machine One of the main points of the plot and apparently it is your job to fix them.
- Minimalist Cast
- The Nicknamer: Shirley nicknames Skinny "Skinny Knees".
- Not Himself: Pick any of the "little-ones".
- This is also the reason Blake wants to go back into the System.
- Wham Line: Felix delivers one near the end.
Felix: Wanna play a game? It's called Kill the Mama.