- Awesome, Dear Boy: Penélope Cruz lobbied to be in the film before the script was even written because she knew Woody Allen was doing something set in Barcelona.
- Billing Displacement: Penélope Cruz plays a supporting character with significantly less screen time than the three leads, but received equal billing. Meanwhile one third of the film's title (Rebecca Hall's Vicky) is not on the poster and her actress listed below Bardem, Cruz and Johansson.
- Career Resurrection: Woody Allen was brought back into prominence with this film's success. It grossed $96 million worldwide and was his most profitable film for a while.
- Fake American: Rebecca Hall (Vicky) is British.
- Harpo Does Something Funny: For scenes where Juan Antonio and Maria Elena speak to each other in Spanish, Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz were encouraged to improvise. As Woody Allen speaks no Spanish, he literally had no idea what they were saying until the subtitles were put into the edit.
- Name's the Same: The amazing Spanish writer-director Juan Antonio Bardem is possibly given a Shout-Out with Javier Bardem's character Juan Antonio.
- Production Posse: Scarlett Johansson had starred in the Woody Allen films Match Point and Scoop as well. Both those were shot outside the United States too.
- Romance on the Set: Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz started dating while making this film, and eventually married.
Trivia / Vicky Cristina Barcelona