- Breakthrough Hit: John Irving's first bestseller, allowing him to quit a teaching position and focus on writing full time.
- Creator Backlash: Irving always hated Garp's name, only intending it as a placeholder until he came up with something better.
- Dawson Casting: Garp is played from age 15 and up by then-30-year-old Robin Williams, while Glenn Close (herself only 4 years older than him) played his mother.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Robin Williams had his body waxed to play the younger Garp.
- Star-Making Role: For Glenn Close.
- What Could Have Been: Jeff Daniels, Dustin Hoffman and Christopher Reeve turned down the lead role.
Trivia / The World According to Garp