- The Cast Showoff: Takako Fuji really can move like that, and has said in an interview that she sometimes likes to pull out her Kayako-moves to freak people out at parties. In addition, any scene with her crawling down the stairs was done without any wirework whatsoever.
- The Danza: Yoko Maki as Yoko.
- Executive Meddling: Kayako did not have much of a backstory in the original film series, and Takashi Shimizu wanted to keep it that way. However, he was told to give her a backstory for The Grudge 2, which he reluctantly went ahead with . In an interview, Shimizu also stated that executives kept insisting that Kayako should have "a twin", which baffled him. In The Grudge 3, Kayako is revealed to have a sister (though not a twin sister), which has to make one wonder if that was a case of executive meddling, too.
- Follow the Leader: The success of The Ring was the chief reason it was remade in the States.
- Missing Trailer Scene: The trailer for The Grudge 2 contains scenes from the film's alternate ending involving Kayako coming down the stairs after Jake and Allison.
- The Other Darrin:
- As with the original Ju-on series, Toshio has been portrayed by three different actors. In the first film and in flashbacks/photographs for the second and third films, he was portrayed by Yuya Ozeki (who also portrayed the version of the character in the two theatrical Ju-on films). In the second film, he was portrayed by Ohga Tanaka. In the third film, he is portrayed by Shimba Tsuchiya. (Unfortunately, the difference is rather jarring in the third movie, as Toshio looks a lot older than in the previous films.)
- Not only that, but Takako Fuji, who has played Kayako from the very beginning of the Ju-on saga up until The Grudge 2, has been replaced in The Grudge 3 by Aiko Horichi (although Fuji does appear as Kayako in the third movie's flashbacks and photographs). According to Takako Fuji herself, she was getting tired of playing the same role over and over again. Also, in the Tales of the Grudge shorts, Kayako is portrayed by Anna Moon.
- What Could Have Been:
- Selma Blair was the first choice for the role of Karen.
- The role of Vanessa in The Grudge 2 was originally written for Vanessa Lengies.
Trivia / The Grudge