- Acclaimed Flop: Despite receiving good reviews from critics, it only made $7,266,383 against a $12 million budget.
- California Doubling: While the Washington Square Park games were all shot on location, and there were some other scenes shot in New York City, most of the movie was shot in Toronto.
- Cast the Expert: Max Pomeranc, who played Josh, was in real life a chess prodigy. Many of the other chess players in the movie were played by real chess players.
- Production Posse: Ben Kingsley, of course, went on to appear later that year in Schindler's List, written by Steve Zaillian.
- In addition, Dan Hedaya, William H. Macy, and Tony Shalhoub all appeared in A Civil Action, also written and directed by Zaillian.
- What Could Have Been: Ice-T was first offered the part of Vinnie.
Trivia / Searching for Bobby Fischer