- Actor Allusion: With shades of a meta But She Sounds Lovely. Pinkie Pie describes Fluttershy as having "the most beautiful voice ever". Both characters are voiced by Andrea Libman, who has on several occasions mentioned she doesn't like to hear her own voice.
- Fandom Nod: A background pony nicknamed Candy Mane has candy in her mane◊.
- Fan Nickname: "Pegasus Dad" was given the name "Nightjar" (the family of songbirds that includes whippoorwills) by Reddit users.
- Flip-Flop of God: The show's crew has officially stated that only hooved animals are sapient enough to speak, yet the deer seen on this episode, which are hooved animals, are definitely non-sentient.
- Non-Singing Voice: "Flutterguy's" speaking and singing parts are done by two separate people, neither of them Blu Mankuma. Torch Song's speaking voice is Cathy Weseluck.
- The Other Darrin: Alvin Sanders (speaking) and Marcus Mosely (singing) replace Blu Mankuma as Fluttershy's poison joke voice. An Enforced Trope, since Mankuma was last reported to be critically ill by fellow Beast Wars actor Garry Chalk.
- Recycled Script: We already had an episode about Fluttershy's Performance Anxiety, and this one even uses a similar visual representation of it. However, it is noted in the end that it's not something you can quickly get over, and in this episode instead of just getting over her fears, Fluttershy ends up rejoicing in performing and learns to take pride in her talent.
- Reality Subtext: Andrea Libman and her colleagues have mentioned that she doesn't like to hear recordings of herself singing; this is reflected in Fluttershy's reluctance to have anypony hear her sing.
- Working Title: "The Return of Flutterguy," which was naturally scrapped for being spoilery. "Flutterfear" was also considered. The latter was accidentally used by iTunes on first release of the episode but subsequently fixed a day later.
Trivia / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S4 E14 "Filli Vanilli"