- Blooper: In the scene where the memories return to the girls, Fluttershy and Pinkie's are colored to Sunset's memories of them instead of their (red) memories of Sunset.
- Casting Gag: While she previously played a minor "villain" in the third film, Shannon Chan-Kent finally rounds out the show's three main Non-Singing Voice actresses as the voice of one of the Big Bads of Equestria Girls, with Rebecca Shoichet and Kazumi Evans playing the villains of the first and second films, respectively. Also, while their personalities are vastly different, they're not the only character associated with the color green she voices in a Hasbro show.
- Edited for Syndication: The special was originally planned as 5 parts of 10 minutes each. Six of the originally planned fifty minute runtime were axed for its broadcast in Discovery Family, eventually being released on Hasbro's YouTube channel under the title Sunset Shimmer's Saga: A Friendship to Remember. These scenes include:
- A shot of the Crusaders at the very beginning.
- Sunset Shimmer reading Rainbow Dash's memories after Applejack's, finding herself erased from the Friendship Games' motocross competition.
- Pony Flash Sentry being a guard at the Canterlot Library, causing Sunset to double take as they walk in.
- A embarrassed Celestia warning the Restricted Section's mechanical archive is behind on repairs, which proves true when Sunset walks over and pulls a lever, causing the machine to smoke and implode in front of her and an even more embarrassed Celestia. Twilight just declares they'll have to read everything as a result. Also, Princess Twilight mentioning her intention to fix said machine before Sunset leaves for the human world.
- Rainbow Dash providing her own commentary on the volleyball match, and Twilight acting as the reluctant cheering section.
- Sunset and Trixie interrogating Micro Chips.
- An extra scene of the Rainbooms hanging out by the Canterlot High statue.
- I Knew It!: A common bit of fan speculation after Sunset's HeelFace Turn was that she would return to Equestria to apologize to Princess Celestia for being a Spoiled Brat. While it wasn't the primary purpose of her visit, Sunset does meet with Celestia and apologize, which plays out exactly how the many fan works portraying it did.
- Jossed: Clover the Clever's gender is officially revealed to be male rather than female as it was usually depicted in the fandom. Cue thousands of fanworks that feature "Female Clover" being suddenly slammed with the alternate universe tag.
- Novelization First: The novel adaptation My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: A Friendship to Remember was released December 5, two and a half months before the special.
- What Could Have Been: Originally, the final confrontation with the villain was going to happen in front of a large crowd of students and teachers instead of an empty parking lot. Flash Sentry would have stopped the villain from escaping.
Trivia / My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Forgotten Friendship