- Box Office Bomb: Was made on a $94 million budget, but only made back $54 million at the box office.
- California Doubling: While the final race supposedly takes place in Detroit, at least some of the footage was actually shot at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada.
- The Cast Showoff: Estella Warren is a former synchronised swimmer and member of the Canadian national team and displays this skill in a very plot-unrelated scene.
- Critical Research Failure: When Ebert & Roeper reviewed this film, they had Jay Leno on as a guest. Anyone who knows Leno knows he loves cars and racing, owning one of the biggest vintage car collections in the United States. He happily went on at length about how inaccurate the film was.
- Deleted Scene: According to Renny Harlin's DVD Commentary, his first cut was four hours long. Only 51 minutes of deleted footage was included as special feature on DVD.
- Old Shame: Sylvester Stallone regrets ever making this film.
- What Could Have Been:
- This was originally intended to be a biopic of the late Ayrton Senna, but Stallone couldn't procure enough information about him. Then he planned for it to be about Formula One, but the teams refused to reveal any details of how their cars worked and he couldn't obtain permission to film at the actual races.
- Leonardo DiCaprio was originally considered for the role of Jimmy.
- Working Title: Champs.
Trivia / Driven