- Hilarious in Hindsight, Life Imitates Art, Take That!: All apply to the B-Side/Bonus Track "Lucy Can't Dance", said to be a dismissal of Madonna's antics during the Like a Prayer-Erotica area as something Bowie's already done himself. The former two tropes come into play with some of the lines seeming to line up with things Madonna would explore in the future:
- Real Life Writes the Plot:
- "Jump They Say" was inspired by Bowie's late half-brother Terry Burns, who had committed suicide in 1985.
- "You've Been Around" was written while Bowie was in Tin Machine; it is suggested that the song was also about the band.
- "The Wedding", "The Wedding Song" and "Miracle Goodnight" were written about his relationship and marriage to Iman.
- Refitted for Sequel: Covering Cream's "I Feel Free" was an idea that went all the way back to the Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) sessions. Bowie only got as far as recording an instrumental track back in 1980, but eventually revisited the idea for this album.
Trivia / Black Tie White Noise