- Bill Hicks gets several references in Ænima. The inner artwork features a painting of him titled "Another Fallen Hero", clips of Hicks from his Dangerous and Relentless albums are sampled in the intro to "Third Eye," and the song "Ænema" is based on Hicks' "Arizona Bay" routine, with a Title Drop in the chorus.
- The live version of "Third Eye" on Salival replaces the Bill Hicks material with clips of Timothy Leary.
- "Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)" is a nod to Albert Hofmann, the creator of LSD and also the first person to isolate and synthesise the psychoactive components of psilocybin mushrooms. The doctor in the song is named Dr. Watson after, well, the narrator of the Sherlock Holmes stories.
- "The Grudge" contains a reference to The Scarlet Letter.
- "Rosetta Stoned" refers to The Grateful Dead, The X-Files, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Peanuts, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, My Favorite Martian ("Uncle Martin"), The Matrix, Jackie Chan, Isabella Rossellini, L. Ron Hubbard (whom the band are vocally not fond of), and a story told by Ray Manzarek of The Doors about his first acid trip ("And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning"), as well as, well, the Rosetta Stone. It's not entirely clear who the "Bob" mentioned in the song is, but one possibility is Robert Anton Wilson, who is responsible for popularising the 23 enigma that gives the final song of the album its name.
- "Jambi" is named after the genie from Pee-wee's Playhouse.
- "Viginti tres", as mentioned above, is probably named for the 23 Enigma popularised by Robert Anton Wilson.
- "Litanie Contre La Peur" is French for "Litany Against Fear", which is a reference to Dune by Frank Herbert. The litany in question being: "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Shout Out / tool