SpaceStory is a sci-fi themed roleplay on Bay 12 Forums. Players can play either as a space civilization or a space monster. Both civilizations and monsters are highly customizable. Previously hosted by Kitty Tac, who did a passable job as a GM, now hosted by the excellent Maximum Spin. The original setting is a tiny portion of the Whirlpool galaxy.Not to be confused with Cave Story
Space Story contains examples of:
- Alien Invasion: The general foreign policy of most of the civilisations. The exceptions oddly seem to be the Space Monsters, the Ti'Yuhan and the Inter-System Intergalactic Society, who at best want to be friends and at worst want to convert them to be their worshippers.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: The vast majority of the interactions between the Space Monsters and the species they encounter. Planet Tex has a cult living on them, Bugbat is definitely the most sinister demanding sacrifices and such, and Tyhrlaur is just more mating crazed than the average 15 year old boy.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Rosetira annihilated an Early Space Age civilisation for not agreeing to join them, bombarding their planet to ruins and releasing killer robots to annihilate them, but seemed appalled by Menjeti's willingness to kill and eat a Stone Age level species without excessively harming the planet.
- Final Solution: Rosetira did this to an Early Space Age civilization because they refused to join them. In detail: they bombed their housing, then sent killer robots after the survivors.
- Fun with Acronyms\Unfortunate Names: ISIS, one of the civilizations is this for obvious reasons.
- Gut Punch: Somewhere around the time when the Void Watch appeared, the game started getting darker. Although it still retains its sense of humor, and the Ti'Yuhan are still trying to befriend the whole galaxy, so there is still hope.
- Hive Mind: Two of those, The Menjeti and The Dekronians.
- Insufficiently Advanced Alien: The Ti'Yuhan are stuck in the Stone Age. They can't even smelt most metals. And a recent post implies that they haven't invented the printing press, among other things. Justified, as they're psionic, and supplement their lack of technology with their powers.
- Organic Technology: The Ti'Lin use this because their home world is metal-poor. To elaborate:they have biological armor and ships, and it's implied other things, too.
- Petting Zoo People: The Ti'Lin, as humanoid wolves. And the Space Dragons, humanoid dragons
- Psychic Powers: The Vaeline (Vampires IN SPACE!) and the Ti'Yuhan use psionics.
- Schedule Slip: The GM (Maximum Spin) has been busy since the end of last year. In 16th of January, 2018, an election to pick a new GM has been made. Which has been canceled, as Maximum Spin has got the update out.
- Space Pirates: The Space Dragons. They raid convoys and planets, mostly to steal tech.
- Space Whale: The Space Monsters, immense creatures with varying motives.
- To Serve Man: The Menjeti do this, consuming at least one stone age species without provocation. Rosetira used this often overlooked fact frequently to make their atrocities seem less major.
- The Xenophile: The Ti'Yuhan are obsessed with befriending aliens, sometimes resorting to... less-than-savory means