Baron 1898 is a a steel dive rollercoaster at the Dutch theme park Efteling, manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard. It opened in 2015, and its thematization encompasses 19th century Gold Rushes and supernatural White Ladies legends.
In 1898, wealthy gold mine pioneer baron Gustave Hooghmoed discovers a cave that is rich in gold deposits, but haunted by spirits known as the Witte Wieven. These spirits give Hooghmoed the admonition that if he disturbs the gold in any way, he will suffer terrible consequences for the remainder of his life.
Despite that supernatural threat, Hooghmoed presses the destitute locals (the ride's guests) into working in his newly opened gold mine... at their own risks.
The ride's backstory is detailed in this short.
Tropes shown in Baron 1898 include:
- Celebrity Voice Actor: The voices of the Witte Wieven are provided by Anneke van Giersbergen, of The Gathering fame.
- Curse: The cave is haunted by the Witte Wieven, and many of the mine workers suffer catastrophic accidents or are chased out of the cave by them.
- Dashingly Dapper Derby: Baron Gustave Hooghmoed wears a bowler hat.
- Ethereal White Dress: The ghostly Witte Wieven are stereotypical White Ladies, complete with white dresses.
- Gold Fever: Hooghmoed is a wealthy gold pioneer who will stop at nothing to mine the gold deposits of the cursed cave, even with the supernatural threat of the Witte Wieven inside.
- Meaningful Name: Baron Gustave Hooghmoed's last name is a variation on the Dutch word for 'hubris'.
- Ominous Fog: As part of the woes they unleash on the gold mine workers, the Witte Wieven create fog in the cave.
- Our Spirits Are Different: The Witte Wieven are ghostly spirits of women who are very protective of their cave's gold.
- Outrunning the Fireball: Storywise, the mine workers (the guests) outrun a fireball when being propelled.
- Rollercoaster Mine: The ride has a mining theme, although it's an outdoor rollercoaster.
- Steampunk: The Second Industrial Revolution, steel wheel, steam engines, alarm bells scenery of the ride strongly give off this vibe.
- The Tower: The structure Hooghmoed has built for the fast descent and ascension of the mine cars (the ride's 37.5 meter / 123 ft-tall dive structure itself) with two giant steel wheels on each side. It symbolizes his hubris.