Lisa becomes a veterinarian after giving CPR to a raccoon. Marge meanwhile makes a living cleaning up crime scenes.
- Break the Haughty: Lisa becomes arrogant over the course of the episode while treating other people's animals, and gets hit with this pretty hard towards the end when Bart calls her out for her behaviour and reveals her neglectful treatment of Nibbles, which Dr. Budgie then discovers, and also calls Lisa out.
- Call-Back: The hamster's funeral has scenes from "Skinner's Sense of Snow" and "She of Little Faith".
- Hypocritical Humor:
- When Kent Brockman reports Lisa giving CPR to the raccoon, he says all images are from non-professionals because the professionals were wasting time with gas prices. After finishing the report, he's told he has eight minutes left and decides to use them to talk about these prices.
- Lisa berates Mr. Burns for not properly caring about his dog but her negligence causes the school hamster's death.
- It's All My Fault: Lisa feels this way towards the death of Nibbles, as she neglected him to such an extent that she accidentally killed him. Upon his death, she breaks down in tears.
- Jerkass Has a Point: It's Bart of all people who calls Lisa out for becoming arrogant towards others and in turn forgetting who she really is, and that said arrogance has caused her to neglect Nibbles. Oops.
- The problem comes in that in order to play this trope straight, that means Bart intentionally let Nibbles die just to be able to call out Lisa on her hypocrisy.
- Lisa herself is this. Because while she may have been arrogant and rude in her attitude towards others, she wasn't wrong when she was pointing out the health of the animals or the people's treatment of their pets.
- Karma Houdini: Aside from being called out by Bart and Dr. Budgie, Lisa doesn't suffer any repercussions for neglecting Nibbles and causing his death.
- Say My Name: Lisa is horrified and screams Nibbles's name when she sees how badly she has neglected him.
- Shout-Out: Ralph calls himself "Finding Nemo" in the water park.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Bart of all people calls out Lisa for her arrogance and neglecting Nibbles as a result.