After destroying the meager home of a homeless woman named Hettie, Bart makes up for it by allowing her to live in his closet. Lisa then finds out Hettie is actually the daughter of a renowned country music singer, but her faith in Hettie's potential is shattered when she learns Hettie has a serious case of heroin addiction.
- Broken Pedestal: Hettie once Lisa learns about her addiction.
- The Cameo: Sideshow Bob is briefly seen being forced along with other prison inmates to clean up El Barto's vandalism.
- Doom It Yourself: Homer stubbornly tries to fix a broken floor by himself when Marge decides to call a "handy man" to do it. The cat ends up somewhere within the walls.
- Get Out!:Lisa: You know what, Bart? Just get out! And get Dad's keys and drive us to the radio station. And then get out! Wait until we're done. Then drive us back. Then get out!
- Self-Made Orphan: It's implied that Hettie shot her own parents to death but was too affected by drugs back then to remember.
- Shout-Out: The food Homer leaves for Snowball II while she's trapped behind the walls? Lasagna.