After a lockdown at a kids' fun center (caused by a kid chasing after a ball and a negligent worker talking on her cell phone), Homer is traumatized over seeing everyone panic in the chaos, and meets a doomsday prepper who introduces him to some Springfield residents who are preparing for the day when society crumbles from a disaster.
- Crazy-Prepared: The people who were constantly texting others with their cell phones until all electronics in town went off had several envelopes and papers to send letters the old-fashioned way.
- The doomsday preppers will become this when/if society does crumble.
- EMP: An electromagentic pulse from the nuclear plant (caused by Homer's ineptitude, of course) casuses all electronics in Springfield to go dead, leading Homer and the preppers to believe the end is upon them and leaving to their compound. The Simpsons return to help their friends and discover that the effects of the pulse were only temporary, and everything return to normal withing a couple of days. In fact, things went much smoother than expected, as if all the crazy people (the preppers) had left town and not interfered.
- Finger in the Mail: Discussed.Bart: Hey, dad. What would you do if you got my ear in the mail?
Homer: I dunno. Feed it to the dog?
Bart: You'll have to wrap it in cheese first.
Homer: Don't tell me how to feed you to the dog!
- Geographic Flexibility: The nuclear plant is usually depicted as being located at the edge of Springfield, but for the sake of the plot, it's placed in the center of the town when the EMP goes off◊.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: To prepare for the apocalypse, Homer and Bart watch a post-apocalyptic movie marathon.
- Women Are Wiser: When Smart Tykes goes into lockdown after a blackout, a room full of women gets along peacefully and start showing each other photos of their kids. The room full of men immediately degenerates into a violent brawl.