Todd Packer returns to the office to supposedly make amends, but Pam has trouble buying into it. Dwight attends his aunt Shirley's funeral.
- Backhanded Apology: Packer's attempts to apologize to the office workers result in these, which Pam calls out.
- Breather Episode: The only episode in Season 9 to not advance any arcs.
- The Bus Came Back: Todd Packer returns after getting fired in Season 8.
- The Dreaded: Nobody is happy to see Todd walk in the door, and when Clark asks Pam who he is, Pam can only answer "Bad."
- Intoxication Ensues: Packer's revenge plot involves replacing cupcake frosting with drugs and laxatives and giving them to the office workers. Andy's and Kevin's shared experience is seen in the most detail.
- Make Sure He's Dead: The Schrutes have a tradition of loading bullets into a family member's corpse with a shotgun to make sure they're really dead, after a history of caskets being discovered with scratch marks.
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: This episode was made as a pilot for a new spin-off aptly titled "The Farm", which would have focused on Dwight and his siblings running Aunt Shirley's farm. After the pitch was rejected, the episode was reworked to try to feel more like a The Office episode, but many critics still felt that they were watching something made for a completely different show.
- Remember the New Guy?: All of Dwight's family members that appear (except for Mose) had never been seen or mentioned previously, and they never appear again afterwards.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Packer wants revenge on the Dunder Mifflin workers who got him fired, and he not only stops by the Scranton branch to pull it off, but later goes all the way to Philadelphia to get revenge on Jim and Darryl as well.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Oscar flees Aunt Shirley's funeral when Dwight begins shooting at her corpse.
- Spiteful Will: Aunt Shirley has her will videotaped, and it contains her criticizing Dwight and his siblings for their life choices, even though she does ultimately pass her farm on to them.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dwight's Aunt Shirley passes away after making her debut in the previous episode.