Originally aired October 29, 2010
Written by Turi Meyer & Al Septien
Directed by Turi Meyer
Clark and Lois end up trapped in Meeker Springs, a small community where the residents harbor a dark secret. Tess makes a shocking discovery about Alexander.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Bald of Evil: In the final scene, Alexander shaves his head bald, evincing that the original Lex's memories are starting to gain prominence.
- Bridal Carry: Clark carries Lois this way while speeding away from Meeker Springs.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Alexander, as he starts to embrace Lex's memories.Alexander: My name is Lex!
- Continuity Nod: In the teaser, as Clark and Lois are driving, Lois brings up every Kryptonian escapade and thing they have seen or gone through:
- Their trip to the Phantom Zone in Season 8.
- Doomsday crashing Chloe and Jimmy's wedding.
- Finding Kara's spaceship in Season 7.
- Dramatic Irony: The townspeople of Meeker Springs are completely unaware that the Blue Kryptonite in their bodies suppresses Clark's powers. When Clark finally manages to use them, they are too terrified to come near him when they would have been been able to stop him if they had.
- The Fundamentalist: Joseph Cavanaugh
- Genetic Memory: Alexander is starting to remember the original Lex's memories.
- God Guise: Sort of. After the townspeople witness Clark survive the Blue Kryptonite flames and believe it's a divine sign, Lois tells them that Clark is a messenger sent from the heavens and warns if they make him angry, he'll raze their town. It works.Lois: Yes, it's a sign. Move back. Way back! Far away from him. You are not worthy to be in his presence. Drop your weapon and beg for forgiveness. No, I don't think you get it. He is a-a messenger sent from the heavens!Joseph: I don't believe you.Lois: Oh, you better believe it, because if you don't listen, he will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger! And he will use his-his heat vision to raze your village and his super-breath to smite your crops!Clark: Amen!
- Healing Factor: After Clark shields Lois against a rain of Blue Kryptonite fire with his back, it heals within seconds.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Joseph's reason to sacrifice his own daughter. He becomes angry at Lois for bringing her up and pointing out how wrong it was, he says it was for the good of his village.
- Mundanger: The townspeople of Meeker Springs, though they may count as Empowered Badass Normals since they have Blue Kryptonite in their systems.
- Power Nullifier: It turns out the people of Meeker Springs have been drinking water irradiated by Blue Kryptonite, which suppresses a Kryptonian's superpowers but gives the townspeople excellent health.
- Psychotic Smirk: Alexander imitates his predecessor's quite nicely in the final scene.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Alexander gives one to Tess, outlining her desire to exorcise her own demons by clinging to powerful men like Oliver, Lex, Zod, and Clark.Tess: I will help you.Alexander: Why? So you can feel good about yourself? So you can exorcise those demons deep within your soul? Isn't that what you've always wanted? To save the world so you could redeem the evil inside you?Tess: Stop it.Alexander: But you couldn't do it alone, so you clung to powerful men.Tess: Enough!Alexander: First Oliver Queen, then me, then Zod. And now, Clark Kent.
- Taking the Bullet: Clark shields Lois from the Blue Kryptonite fire.
- They Do: At the episode's end, Clark and Lois finally sleep together.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Meeker Springs, whose townspeople sacrifice an innocent woman to appease God.
- Villain of the Week: The townspeople of Meeker Springs, specifically Joseph Cavanaugh.
- Would Hurt a Child: Tess slaps Alexander after he gives her a speech about how she's trying to deal with her problems by clinging to strong men. She immediately regrets it.