Be aware that this recap collection goes by the "Director's Cut/Revival" versions of Episodes 21-24, and some of the described scenes might seem out of place if you are only familiar with the broadcast versions of the episodes.
On these recap pages, all spoilers will be left unmarked. Read at your own risk.
The TV series
- Episode 01: Angel Attack: Not long after arriving in Tokyo-3, Shinji Ikari finds himself forced into battle against the invading Angels in the cockpit of Evangelion Unit-01.
- Episode 02: Unfamiliar Ceiling/The Beast: In the aftermath of his battle with an Angel, Shinji must come to terms with the trauma he endured.
- Episode 03: The Phone That Doesn't Ring/A Transfer: Shinji transfers to a new middle school, where two of his classmates learn just how horrific piloting an Eva can be.
- Episode 04: Rain, After the Escape/Hedgehog's Dilemma: After another traumatizing battle, Shinji runs away, unable to face the prospect of piloting the Eva again.
- Episode 05: Beyond Rei's Heart/Rei I: With another Angel attack looming over the horizon, Shinji attempts to better understand fellow pilot Rei Ayanami.
- Episode 06: Showdown in Tokyo-3/Rei II: With an Angel threatening to break into NERV, Misato Katsuragi enacts a daring plan to harness Japan's entire power grid as a weapon.
- Episode 07: A Human Work: A rival corporation shows off a new autonomous weapon to replace the Evas, only for the first test run of the weapon to go horrifically awry.
- Episode 08: Asuka Strikes!: In the open sea, Shinji and his friends meet another Eva pilot: the hot-headed ace Asuka Langley Soryu.
- Episode 09: Moment, Heart, Together/Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!: When an Angel proves too much of a match for either Shinji or Asuka alone, the two feuding pilots must set aside their differences to emerge victorious.
- Episode 10: Magma Diver: With an Angel lurking deep in the depths of volcanic magma, Asuka must use new experimental Eva gear to contain it, or else destroy it.
- Episode 11: In the Still Darkness/The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still: With Tokyo-3's power grid down, NERV must find a way to destroy an Angel without access to their technology.
- Episode 12: The Value of a Miracle is.../She Said, "Don't Make Others Suffer for Your Personal Hatred": With an Angel threatening to destroy a large swath of Japan by crashing into it from high orbit, it's a race against time as the Eva pilots rush to intercept it.
- Episode 13: Angel Invasion/Lilliputian Hitcher: An Angel is attacking NERV directly by forcing itself into their computers, threatening to destroy them unless the scientific leaders of the organization can root it out.
- Episode 14: SEELE, Throne of Souls/Weaving a Story: SEELE, the organization sponsoring NERV, questions Gendou Ikari's actions up to this point as synchronization tests are carried out.
- Episode 15: Lies and Silence/Those Women Longed for the Touch of Other's Lips, and Thus Invited Their Kisses: Ryoji Kaji, a NERV spy and Misato's old flame, looks into NERV's dark secrets as he rekindles his relationship with the woman he loves.
- Episode 16: Sickness unto death, and.../Splitting of the Breast: Trapped in the belly of an Angel threatening the city, Shinji goes on an introspective journey which leads him to the true source of Unit-01's power...
- Episode 17: Fourth CHILD: NERV is to receive another Evangelion, Unit-03. This raises the question of who should pilot the machine...
- Episode 18: A Life Choice/Ambivalence: An Angel takes control of Unit-03, trapping its pilot while going on a rampage and forcing Shinji into a dire situation: fend off the Angel and risk the pilot's life, or die...
- Episode 19: A Man's Battle/Introjection: Shinji resigns from NERV, only for another Angel to attack NERV and push him back into the fray.
- Episode 20: Form of the Mind, Form of the Man/Weaving a Story 2: Oral Stage: Shinji has gone missing following the previous battle, his soul trapped inside Unit-01 as Kaji continues to dig into NERV's darkest secrets...
- Episode 21: The Birth of Nerv/He was aware that he was still a child: SEELE questions NERV's vice-commander Fuyutsuki about Gendō's actions as Kaji unearths a truth that will cost him his life to expose...
- Episode 22: At least, be human/Don't be: In the face of her repeated failures, Asuka struggles to continue piloting Unit-02, only for an Angel to assault her mind and soul directly.
- Episode 23: Tears/Rei III: A new Angel attacks, forcing Rei to sacrifice herself to defeat it... only to be found alive and well. But how?!
- Episode 24: The Final Messenger/The Beginning and the End, or "Knockin' on Heaven's Door": Shinji meets a boy named Kaworu Nagisa, the one person with whom he feels the most at ease with...and also a dangerous enemy.
- Episode 25: The World Ending/Do you love me?: The Human Instrumentality Project commences. As the souls of humanity merge into one, Shinji finds himself, for the first time, truly alone...
- Episode 26: The Beast that Shouted "I" at the Heart of the World/Take Care of Yourself: Shinji continues his existential journey amidst the Human Instrumentality Project, and must figure out what kind of existence he wishes for himself...
The End of Evangelion
- Episode 25: Air/Love is Destructive: Traumatized by all of the battle and abuse he was forced to endure, Shinji must decide what to do as SEELE betrays NERV and tries to wipe them out.
- Episode 26: My Purest Heart for You (Yours Sincerely)/I Need You: Third Impact begins, and with humanity's souls merged into one, Shinji must decide how to proceed, and what kind of world he desires...