"Bad Ear Day" is one of the season 1 shorts of the new Mickey Mouse (2013) series created by Paul Rudish for the Disney Channel and Disney.com. It's the ninth to both air on the Disney Channel and to be put up on Disney.com.
- Big "WHAT?!": Goofy shouts this twice when, after Mickey steals his ears, he can't hear without them. Then a third time later, because he hasn't figured out how to put his ears back on.
- The Cameo: A white-feathered Clara Cluck appears at the end as a opera singer.
- Coincidental Broadcast: Micky happens to hear a newscast about a hockey game with three hockey pucks. It's his ears.
- Continuity Nod: The pillow Mickey is napping on has the scenery from "Yodelberg".
- Ears as Hair: The conceit behind this short.
- Impairment Shot: When Mickey loses his ears, the sounds are turned down very low (except for Goofy's dialogue, which is completely inaudible).
- Mythology Gag: The parts where Minnie calls a napping Mickey to remind him about their date and Mickey running around in the city are a homage to the 1947 short Mickey's Delayed Date.
- Phlegmings: The cartoon opens with a beautiful forest waterfall. Zoom out to show Mickey drooling on a pillow.
- Shout-Out: While Mickey is searching for his ears, he passes by the clocktower from Peter Pan.
- The Television Talks Back:Hockey Commentary: This hockey game is nuts! There's three pucks on the ice!
Mickey: Wait, did you say three pucks on the ice?
Hockey Commentary: That's right, three pucks on the ice!