Hoping to find clues to Kilgrave's whereabouts, Jessica searches morgues, figuring it's inevitable Albert will end up in one. Meanwhile, Simpson is up and looking for Jessica, and it looks like a team-up isn't what he has in mind.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Trish has said many times that she wishes she had super powers. In this episode she gets a taste and almost doesn't survive it.
- Big Damn Heroes: Jessica is getting beaten by Simpson. Then Trish, who Simpson thought was locked back in her home, shows up with a fire extinguisher.
- Boom, Headshot!: How Simpson disposes of two people sent to get him.
- Book-Ends: Jessica in a hospital room—in the opening as a patient, in the closing as Trish's escort.
- Chairman of the Brawl: Both Jessica and Simpson take turns attacking each other with a chair during their fight.
- Determinator: Jessica's desire to find Kilgrave's latest victim and/or the man himself leads to a night without sleep, and then to being run over.
- FaceHeel Turn: Simpson's desire to kill Kilgrave pushes him to kill anyone who gets in his way, be it a cop just doing his job or Jessica herself.
- Failed a Spot Check: Jessica a) mistakes another guy in a purple suit for Kilgrave, and b) makes a run for him just as a truck is passing by... Turns out more than 24 hours awake will do that to you.
- Flashback: Three in this episode. The first took place when Jessica woke up at the hospital, the second took place when Jessica first moved in with the Walkers and discovered her Super Strength, and the third took place when Jessica defended Trish from her abusive mother.
- The Ghost: Kilgrave doesn't show up in this episode, although you can clearly feel his presence still affecting the characters here.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Zigzagged. Cornered in a bathroom by Simpson and with Jessica's superhuman endurance nerfed by a cracked rib, Trish takes one of Simpson's red pills in order to fend him off—she does so fully cognizant of the risk to her own life in doing so (and without access to the blue pills that counter-act their effects), rationalising that if Simpson kills the weakened Jessica there will be no way of stopping Kilgrave. She survives her encounter with Simpson (mostly) unscathed, briefly stops breathing due to the pills' side effects, but her life is saved by the timely intervention of a paramedic and she makes a swift recovery.Simpson: Without the blues, you'll die!
Trish: [grabs a screwdriver and stabs him in the shoulder] Worth it.
- I Never Said It Was Poison: Jessica figures out that Simpson killed Clemmons because he knew which hotel that Trish and Albert were staying at. The only possible person who could have told him that was Clemmons.
- Insomnia Episode: Jessica goes overnight through every morgue in NYC. ("After 24 hours with no sleep, your short-term memory goes to hell." / "I was unconscious last night, so that counts.") She's clearly struggling to stay awake by the last one, and gets a short rest by being run over by a truck. Jessica is then rescued by Trish and taken to her apartment, but only rests without sleeping before duty calls. She only manages to snooze once Trish is in a hospital bed. And even then, a text message endangering Luke wakes Jessica promptly...
- Locking MacGyver in the Store Cupboard: Trish is locked inside her training room. This means she can use one of her dumbbells to break her way out.
- Man on Fire: Happens to Luke when his bar is bombed. Being nigh-indestructible, he simply staggers out with his clothes on fire, though looks understandably shaken by the whole thing.
- Phlebotinum Pills: The red pills give increased stamina and strength, but the side effect is that a person's inhibitions go way down. Without the blue pills the brain will forget how to breathe.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: A hospital clerk who's retentive about who can enter the morgue allows Jessica in once Trish gets him a table in a French restaurant.Jessica: Dinner at the fancy restaurant is supposed to buy us quiet assistance.
- Shout-Out: The way Simpson breaks a hole in a bathroom door and looks menacingly through it is quite reminiscent of The Shining.
- Title Drop: Courtesy of the background music that plays when Simpson takes a red pill.
- Worf Had the Flu: Simpson acknowledges that on any other day, Jessica could beat him even after the strength boost, but since she has a cracked rib from an earlier car accident, she doesn't have an easy time in dealing with him. She admits this as well once she and Trish retreat to the bathroom.