Kilgrave has escaped, but in doing so he has revealed something he didn't want Jessica to know—she is immune to his powers.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Jeri wanted to use Kilgrave to make her divorce go her way. Now that her ex is dead, she no longer has to worry about the divorce. She has other problems now.
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: Metaphorically, what Wendy feels Jeri has done to their relationship. Literally, what Kilgrave tells Wendy to do to Jeri. She gets to about thirty cuts before she's stopped.
- Exact Words: On his way out in the previous episode, Kilgrave told Trish to put a bullet in her skull. Luckily, the revolver was empty of rounds, but she tries to push a fired bullet into her head. Jessica is able to stop the compulsion by having Trish put a shell casing in her mouth, which also counts as in her skull.
- Kilgrave casually saying to Jeri, "Tell me something I don't know," which wasn't even meant as an order, leads to her confessing that Hope was pregnant with his child and had an abortion.
- Fighting from the Inside: In the flashback, after her interrupted attempt at suicide, Jess demonstrates that, even under Kilgrave's control, she wants nothing to do with him.Kilgrave: Why don't you listen to me?
Jessica: Because I don't want to.
Kilgrave: If you won't listen to me, what do you have ears for?
Jessica: To listen to someone else.
- Hope Spot: No pun intended. Kilgrave's father successfully developed an antidote to his Mind Rape powers. It works for all of two seconds.
- Ironic Echo: In an earlier episode, Jeri mused on how a guy with Kilgrave's abilities would be useful on "our side." Now, she learns the hard way why such a monster should never be used by anyone.
- Last Chance to Quit: Kilgrave offers this to Jessica. He promises to stay out of her way and arrange for Hope's release, if she in turn will turn his father over to him and promise to stay out of his way too.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Simpson goes full Knight Templar, killing Detective Clemons and burning his body so he can go after Kilgrave himself.
- Meaningful Echo: Hogarth echoes Kilgrave's "I didn't tell you to, you chose to do it."
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Wendy nearly kills Jeri while under Kilgrave's control, and then is accidentally killed by Pam, Jeri's left sprawled on the floor and bleeding from several cuts, staring at her wife's corpse, horrified by what her self-serving actions have ended up causing.
- Mythology Gag:
- Simpson's American flag lighter is a reference to the American flag tattoo his comic book-counterpart has on his face.
- Jessica standing on the ledge when preparing to jump in the flashback is similar to a moment in the comics where Kilgrave made Karen Page do the same thing.
- No, You: While getting sewn up by Wendy after being brought to her house by Hogarth, Kilgrave gripes to her about Jessica's reaction to his restoring her childhood home; just as Wendy is about to explain a Noodle Incident about a trip she took Jeri on to Paris...Jeri Hogarth: Shut up, Wendy.
Kilgrave: No, you shut up!
- Pretty Little Headshots: Simpson puts a bullet in Clemons's head, leaving only a small entry wound.
- Scars Are Forever: Jessica has one behind her ear, from when Kilgrave ordered her to cut it off before stopping her.
- Self-Serving Memory: Kilgrave's. He remembers a situation where Jessica willingly kissed him after the twelve hour period his orders work for. What actually happened was that Jessica played along to get him to go inside from their rooftop terrace, then tried to jump off (either to kill herself or escape him), but Kilgrave caught her in time and nearly had her cut an ear off with a knife.
- Tap on the Head: A fatal case (Pam to Wendy, which knocks Wendy's head into a glass table edge-on) and a knockout-only one (Robyn to Jessica).
- Title Drop:
- Twice. The first time is when Jeri's wife asks how she could possibly get enough revenge to make up for her death by 1,000 cuts ("All the little slices over the years, then the final stab, the secretary"). The next time is when Kilgrave orders her to go ahead and give Jeri a literal death by 1,000 cuts—she keeps count.
- Also one for the Working Title of the episode, when Robyn refers to the support group as a "kumbaya circle-jerk."
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Although Jessica had a lot on her mind, not showing any sympathy toward Robyn causes her to be suspicious of Jessica even more. After overhearing Malcolm talk about Ruben's death, Robyn then blames Jessica for Ruben's death and leads the support group's rebellion against Jessica, knocks Jessica out, and then takes the duct tape off from Kilgrave (who she assumed was a victim). This leads to the support group and herself nearly being hanged on Kilgrave's command, along with Kilgrave's escape, Hope's suicide, and the abduction of Kilgrave's father.
- Wham Episode: Will Simpson goes insane and murders Clemons. Pam is arrested for the death of Wendy, whom she killed defending Jeri, and then abandons Jeri for her manipulations. Hope commits Heroic Suicide, prompting Jessica to promise she will not simply arrest Kilgrave, but kill him.