Detective Nick Burkhardt is planning to propose. During an unexpected visit by his Aunt Marie, Nick learns that he is one of the last surviving members of the Grimm Family. A Blutbad strikes, killing a local college student and abducting a little girl. Nick learns that he and his family are the targets of creatures.
This episode provides examples of:
- Book-Ends: The episode begins with a victim listening to "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics before being killed. The ending of the episode has Nick stopping Adalind from killing Aunt Marie, but being injected by the needle's contents meant for his aunt. As he falls unconscious, he sees Adalind's hag face as she escapes, with Marilyn Manson's cover of "Sweet Dreams" playing.
- Chekhov's Gun: "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics is playing on the iPod of the first victim. Later, the killer begins absentmindedly humming it front of the cops, tipping them off. Marilyn Manson's cover of the song later plays during the Cliffhanger.
- Fairytale Motifs: Little Red Riding Hood
- Naïve Newcomer: Nick is this to the supernatural. He's just started coming into his heritage and is only passingly familiar with the fairy tales.
- Powers in the First Episode: Nick first becomes aware of The Masquerade. He starts seeing people turn into monsters that no one else notices.
- Wham Shot: After Adalind's attempt to kill Aunt Marie, she dumps the white coat and gets into a car. The driver is Captain Renard... Nick's boss.