The thirty-fifth episode of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
Robotnik pretends to retire, and lures Sonic and Tails into a phony vacation resort, laden with booby-traps set by Scratch and Grounder. But Sonic takes the bungee jumping, hang gliding, and skydiving in stride, and gives bashes to the bots.
This episode provides examples of:
- The Cameo: A yellow version of Davy Sprocket from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine appears early in this episode as one of the robots attacking the city of Popadopolis.
- Chekhov's Volcano: Guido sends Sonic and Tails into one, but they manage to escape from it.
- Falsely Reformed Villain: Robotnik announces that he is going to retire from villainy to take care of his mother. This is all part of his plan to trick Sonic into retiring so that he can lure him into a phony vacation resort laden with his booby-traps.
- A Gift for Themselves: Robotnik presents a gold watch as a "retirement" gift "to Dr. Robotnik, from Dr. Robotnik".
- Jaw Drop: Sonic and Tails do this when they find Robotnik acting friendly towards them when they arrive at his fortress.
- Mouth Cam: An extreme close-up of Robotnik's mouth is shown when he talks to Sonic and Tails about how he allegedly now pours tea for his guests.
- Mythology Gag: The submarine that Scratch and Grounder pilot resembles the Jaws enemy from Sonic 1, and they also try to attack Sonic with the Chopper enemies from the same game.
- Piranha Problem: Scratch and Grounder send a school of Choppers to attack Sonic and Tails, but Sonic quickly tames them.
- Properly Paranoid: When Robotnik retires and Mayor Fumfer rewards Sonic with a vacation resort, Sonic suspects that Robotnik might still be up to his old tricks, and he's absolutely right.
- Robotic Reveal:
- After Sonic and Tails leave for their vacation on a jet ski, Mayor Fumfer reveals that he is a robot working for Robotnik as part of Robotnik's plan to destroy Sonic.
- Guido, the tour guide for Sanpelagroso, is also revealed to be a robot working for Robotnik after he sends Sonic and Tails white-water kayaking.
- Split-Screen Phone Call: During his phone call with Mayor Fumfer, Robotnik parodies this trope in a way that has to be seen to be believed.
- Tempting Fate: When Sonic foils Robotnik's plan to destroy him in skydiving, he cuts the cords to Robotnik's parachute, causing Robotnik to fall. Below Robotnik, Guido says, "Where's Robotnik? He should be here by now with my pay-o!". Just then, Robotnik falls on him.
- Victory Is Boring: When Robotnik claims to have retired, Sonic slowly goes crazy from a lack of evil plots to foil.
- Wrong Parachute Gag: Robotnik sabotages Sonic and Tails' parachutes so that they won't open when they pull the ripcords, and items fly out of them instead.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After Mayor Fumfer sends Sonic and Tails on their vacation, Robotnik fires him. Mayor Fumfer asks Robotnik why he's firing him, as he did his job perfectly. Robotnik tells him that because he did his job perfectly, he doesn't need him anymore.