A podcast about destroying the things you love...by giving them away. Ever recommended a movie to a friend? And then your friend hated it? And then you argued about it? And then you recorded that argument and made jokes and published it on the Internet? That's The Breakup. Each episode your hosts Sam and Jacob enlighten/torture each other with their favourite pop culture and media, from anime and Canadian tragicomic miniseries, to webcomics and Soviet art films.
Includes examples of:
- Abstract Scale: Ratings are sometimes given in fractions of thumbs (eg, "one and a half thumbs up").
- Berserk Button: Jacob has several, but one of them is writers getting overly meta in their works.
- Sam really hates Ready Player One.
- Canada, Eh?: The two hosts are Canadian and make no effort to hide it, occasionally talking about "our one American listener, Tom".
- Guest Host: Each "season" of the podcast ends with a guest joining the pair, with two so far.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: The hosts are roommates and best friends.
- I Was Just Joking: In the episode "The Breakout: Juggalos", Jacob and guest Megan make a number of jokes around the fact that Jacob is accused of being a juggalo at a punk show (It Makes Sense in Context). Later, on social media, Megan suggests they go to an Insane Clown Posse concert for the next episode, and has to say this when Jacob starts talking about buying tickets.
- Letter Motif: Each episode in a season is given a name starting with the same letter.
- So Bad, It's Good: Subverted. Although the initial offerings are meant to be something the hosts legitimately enjoy, they can end up being this for the receiver.
- The Unseen: Enemy of the Podcast Jesse Cowell is this - frequently talked about, never appearing - until it's revealed in one episode that he's been there the whole time. He says one sentence, Sam tells him to be quiet, and he's never heard from again. In Real Life, he's the hosts' other roommate.