The Wombats are a Liverpool-based indie pop/rock band, most popular for their hits "Let's Dance to Joy Division" and "Greek Tragedy". Formed in 2003, they made a few extended plays and a Japan-only debut, before the rest of the world was introduced to them with their first major studio album, A Guide to Love, Loss, & Desperation, a year later (which included most songs from their debut).
- Matthew Murphy lead vocals, guitar, keyboards (2003 present)
- Tord Øverland Knudsen bass guitar, keyboards (2003 - present)
- Dan Haggis drums, percussion, keyboards, guitar (2003 present)
- A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation (2007)
- This Modern Glitch (2011)
- Glitterbug (2015)
- Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life (2018)
- The Hangover Sessions (2004)
- The Daring Adventures of Sgt. Wimbo and His Pet Otter (2004)
- No. 3 (2005)
- Girls, Boys and Marsupials (2006) (Japan-only)
- The Wombats Go Pop! Pop! Pop! (2007)
- The Wombats (2007)
- This Acoustic Glitch (2011)
- Our Perfect Disease (2011)
- Glitterbug B-Sides (2015)
- B-Z Sides (2019)
We're smashing tropes in karaoke bars...
- Album Closure: This Modern Glitch, an album at least partially about the singer's dissatisfaction with life, ends on "Schumacher the Champagne", a song about humbly accepting your fate and who you are.
- Album Title Drop: From "1996"-I kissed her on the cheekI kissed her on the cheekJust to impress the older kidsBut my self belief, my self beliefWasn't lost in the modern glitch
- Concept Album: A Guide to Love, Loss, & Desperation which is about... love, loss, and desperation.
- Death by Music Video: In the music video for "Greek Tragedy", the band is murdered one at a time by an obsessed fangirl who spent a lot of time stalking them. Two of the band members suffer a case of Slashed Throat while the third is electrocuted in his bathtub. The fangirl later dresses and strings up the bodies in a warehouse to make it seem like they're holding a private concert for her.
- Longest Song Goes Last: Both of their first two albums.
- Long Title: The full title of their first album is The Wombats Proudly Present... A Guide to Love, Loss, & Desperation.
- One-Word Title: "Emoticons", "Headspace", "Isabel", "Flowerball", and "Turn".
- B-Z Sides has a soft spot for this: "Avalanche", "Valentine", "Trampolining", "Motorphobia", "Hunting", "Butterfly", "Glitterbug", and "Tormentor".
- Precision F-Strike: In "My First Wedding".As they dance to their soppy song, I pray it isn't love'cause she's my heartless BITCH that I just can't seem to get enough of!
- Silly Love Songs: "Dip You in Honey" fits this trope to a T.