Tankard is a German Thrash Metal band founded in 1982. They are the inventor of the "alcoholic metal" genre and one of the longest running bands in the genre, having released a whopping 17 studio albums from 1986 through 2017.
Tankard were formed by Andreas Gerre Geremia, Axel Katzmann and Frank Thorwarth. At the time, the band was known as Vortex and Avenger until the current name of Tankard was discovered by the band in a dictionary. As the band were not permitted to drink alcohol in the school, they smuggled their beer in with milk cartons. Soon after, band member Bernhard Rapprich left the band as his conservative father did not want him hanging around with a bunch of drunks and was replaced by Andy Bulgaropulos.
In 1984, Tankard signed to Noise Records after narrowly missing out on signing with Steamhammer during a gig where guitarist Andy Bulgaropulous made the mistake of wearing a blue sweatshirt with a deer on the front creating the wrong image and causing Steamhammer to retract their offer of a contract.
- Andreas "Gerre" Geremia - vocals (1982-present)
- Frank Thorwarth - bass (1982-present)
- Olaf Zissel - drums (1994-present)
- Andy Gutjahr - guitars (1998-present)
- Bernhard Rapprich guitars (19821983)
- Oliver Werner drums (19821989)
- Axel Katzmann guitars (19821993)
- Andy Bulgaropulos guitars (19831999)
- Arnulf Tunn drums (19891994)
Tankard provides examples of:
- Drugs Are Bad: "Total Addiction". Among other things, it suggests beer and listening to Tankard as reasons to quit cocaine.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Their debut album, Zombie Attack, is the only one not (almost) entirely devoted to beer, alcohol and drunkenness.
- Gratuitous Spanish: In their 2012 album called A Girl Called Cerveza (Cerveza is Spanish for beer)
- Heavy Meta: Starts with "Thrash 'till Death" on their very first album and often comes up again. Occasionally, they'll have a song about themselves at least briefly, such as the aforementioned "Total Addiction".
- Metal Band Mascot: The Tankard Alien, who makes appearances on the covers of six albums, the eponymous "Alien" EP, and plenty of band merchandise.
- Metal Scream: Being a Thrash Metal band, it was to be expected.
- Ode to Intoxication: As if the name and the "alcoholic metal" moniker wasn't indicative enough. Most of their songs are about or related to drinking, ranging from the joy of drinking to the inevitable hangover after.
- The Remake: Best Case Scenario: 25 Years in Beers, released in 2007 and after over ten albums, re-records several songs from their earlier records.
- Thrash Metal: Co-Trope Codifier of teutonic Thrash Metal along with Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction.
- Two-Faced: The coverart for the album Two Faced depicts a literal two-faced politician.