In 1984, Tankard signed to Noise Records after narrowly missing out on signing with Steamhammer during a gig where guitarist Andy Bulgaropulous made the mistake of wearing a blue sweatshirt with a deer on the front creating the wrong image and causing Steamhammer to retract their offer of a contract.
- Andreas "Gerre" Geremia - vocals (1982-present)
- Frank Thorwarth - bass (1982-present)
- Olaf Zissel - drums (1994-present)
- Andy Gutjahr - guitars (1998-present)
- Bernhard Rapprich guitars (19821983)
- Oliver Werner drums (19821989)
- Axel Katzmann guitars (19821993)
- Andy Bulgaropulos guitars (19831999)
- Arnulf Tunn drums (19891994)
Tankard provides examples of:
- Drunken Song: By the truckload.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Their debut album, Zombie Attack, is the only one not (almost) entirely devoted to beer, alcohol and drunkenness.
- Gratuitous Spanish: In their 2012 album called "A Girl Called Cerveza" (Cerveza is Spanish for beer)
- Metal Scream: Being a Thrash Metal band, it was to be expected.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Between 7 and 9.
- Ode to Intoxication: Most of their discography.
- Thrash Metal: Co-Trope Codifier of teutonic Thrash Metal along wiht Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction.