John Andrew Quale (born May 24, 1978) is a singer/songwriter, and creator of the stage character Prince Poppycock. The act started in 2006 when a friend asked Quale to sing at a nightclub in Los Angeles. The only catch was that he had to wear a wig. Cue Prince Poppycock's wild wig and whiteface makeup. Since then, Prince Poppycock has come into the world's attention when he performed on America's Got Talent.
John Quale and his stage character provide examples of:
- Beware the Nice Ones: This Camp Gay dandy will wow and amaze with his soulfully operatic performances, but buzz him during an important performance like Piers did and you can expect a tongue as sharp as his decorative eyelashes:Poppycock: "Well, I just wanted to say thank you to Piers. You see, I was promised a horse, but I only got two guys in horse heads, and so Piers intuitively understood that I needed a horse's behind!"
- Camp Gay: When he came back to perform at a result show, while dressed as a phoenix, he actually said "Look at me, I'm flaming!"
- Costume Porn: His costumes are oh so over-the-top.
- Establishing Character Moment: One of Poppycock's first audition songs? Largo Al Factorum, i.e. one of the most freaking difficult arias to sing for a baritone. Piers' Fascinating Eyebrow midway through the performance tells you that he was not expecting that from the Prince.
- I Shall Taunt You: Whats the matter Piers? You look like youve been sucking on a lemon. Well, I just wanted to say thank you to Piers. You see, I was promised a horse, but I only got two guys in horse heads, and so Piers intuitively understood that I needed a horse's behind!"
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: In ten years, no one is going to know Michael Grimms name.
- The Show Must Go On: Poppycock quoted it word for word when admitting he was under the weather for his first audition, but still gave it all he could despite straining his voice near the end of La Donna e Mobile.
- Weirder Than Usual: Where would the fans be without having seen the pink wig during the Enough is Enough performance with Donna Summers?
''The Legend of Prince Poppycock'' provides examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Hes alone on the other side of the planet. Hes disillusioned. And hes dirty!
- World Gone Mad: When the Prince falls into the strange land called Earth, it suddenly seems hes the Only Sane Man to be seen.