Parallel Lines is the third studio album by the band Blondie, released in 1978. Their second album that year (after Plastic Letters), it was produced by Mike Chapman, a pro songwriter who had co-written The Sweet's hit "Ballroom Blitz".
- Clem Burke - Drums
- Jimmy Destri - Keyboards
- Nigel Harrison - Bass
- Debbie Harry - Vocals
- Frank Infante - Guitar
- Chris Stein - Guitar
- "Hanging on the Telephone" - 2:17
- "One Way or Another" - 3:31
- "Picture This" - 2:53
- "Fade Away and Radiate" - 3:57
- "Pretty Baby" - 3:16
- "I Know But I Don't Know" - 3:53
- "11:59" - 3:19
- "Will Anything Happen?" - 2:55
- "Sunday Girl" - 3:01
- "Heart of Glass" - 3:54
- "I'm Gonna Love You Too" - 2:03
- "Just Go Away" - 3:21
Once I had a trope and it was a gas:
- Break-Up Song: "Just Go Away":O Don't ya know
Don't wanna see you any more
Put up or shut up
You spell, you read.
- Cover Version: "Hanging on the Telephone" was a cover of a song by power pop band The Nerves. "I'm Gonna Love You Too" was a Buddy Holly cover.
- Face on the Cover: The six band members standing in front of a striped scrim.
- Female Gaze: "Picture This":All I want is a room with a view
A sight worth seeing, a vision of you
All I want is a room with view, oh-oh
I will give you my finest hour
The one I spent watching you showernote
I will give you my finest hour, oh yeah.
- Gratuitous French: "Pretty Baby" has "Pretty baby, un petine ingenue".
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: "I Know But I Don't Know", which is made up of statements like that.
- Love Hurts: "Heart of Glass":In between
What I find is pleasing and I'm feeling fine
Love is so confusing there's no peace of mind
If I fear I'm losing you it's just no good
You teasing like you do.
- Love Is a Drug: The "Riding high on loves true bluish light" in "Heart of Glass" implies this.
- One-Woman Song: "Sunday Girl"
- Questioning Title?: "Will Anything Happen?"
- Record Producer: Mike Chapman.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: All the male members of the band are in black suits with black ties on the front cover
- Shout-Out: One verse of "Just Go Away" starts "Don't be cruel."
- Special Guest: King Crimson's Robert Fripp plays on "Fade Away and Radiate".
- Stalking Is Love: Hoo boy! "One Way or Another":One day maybe next week, I'm gonna meet ya'
I'm gonna meet ya', I'll meet ya'
I will drive past your house and if the lights are all down
I'll see who's around.
- When the Clock Strikes Twelve: The time just before midnight is treated with particular drama in "11:59".We can run
Today can last another million years
Today could be the end of me
It's 11:59, and I want to stay alive