Julia Shammas Holter (born December 18, 1984) is an American singer/songwriter, record producer, and classically trained composer. A CalArts graduate, following three independent album productions, Holter released Tragedy as her first official studio album in 2011, followed a year later by Ekstasis. Both albums received considerable acclaim, and propelled the artist into mainstream popularity. Many have compared her style to that of Laurie Anderson.
- Phaedra Runs to Russia (2007)
- Eating the Stars (2007)
- Cookbook (2008)
- Celebration (2010)
- Live Recordings (2010)
- Tragedy (2011)
- Ekstasis (2012)
- Loud City Song (2013)
- Have You in My Wilderness (2015)
- In the Same Room (2017)
- Aviary (2018)
This artist provides examples of the following tropes:
- Celebrity Is Overrated: "Horns Surrounding Me" from Loud City Song explores the media's fascination with celebrity life and its more intrusive extremes.
- Concept Album:
- Longest Song Goes Last:
- Ekstasis closes with "This is Ekstasis" (8:55).
- Loud City Song closes with "Appearing" (7:16).